Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What does that mean? Login with what? Login tio what? L...

r7000_nooby
Aspirant

R7000 Nighthawk Readycloud setup won’t allow read/write.

Windows 10/Windows 7/Linux, home network only, with latest firmware as of 06/13/2018

I have set up Readycloud, have a ReadyCloud account, and am able to login in to it from a browser.

After login all I see are the symbols for the R7000 router and the share name.

But selecting the share name, it doesn’t present me with the folders/files that are on the shared drive.

If mapped as a network drive in Windows, no problem reading/writing to the share drive.

I have done everything that the dashboard asked of me to set it up and get an account.

So, what am I doing wrong that ReadyCloud won’t allow me access to what I know is there?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Re: R7000 Nighthawk Readycloud setup won’t allow read/write.

What firmware version do you have on the device? A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.)

There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

FIRMWARE VERSION

V1.0.9.32_10.2.34

Good enough?

Installed the the day I updated to the ‘latest’ firmware!And made the OP to this thread on 06/13/2018 IIRC.

and IMO, if there are ‘hotfixes’ then Netgear should be informing us.... just saying

And firmware should not be a condition of how ReadyCloud works. Again IMO.

I have been trying to get that thing to show my files/folders for over a year! And all I get are  those icon symbols that go nowhere and do nothing.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 19

@r7000_nooby wrote:

and IMO, if there are ‘hotfixes’ then Netgear should be informing us.... just saying

Hotfixes are "work in progress". Ready for people to use, but not tested enough to release them into the update process.

If don't want to look for them, just wait until they arrive in the official channels.

@r7000_nooby wrote:

And firmware should not be a condition of how ReadyCloud works.

Firmware is the software, in effect the "operating system", that makes your hardware work. Of course it affects how ReadyCLOUD operates. No firmware = no ReadyCLOUD. Broken firmware = broken ReadyCLOUD

I have been trying to get that thing to show my files/folders for over a year! And all I get are  those icon symbols that go nowhere and do nothing.

What are these "icon symbols? I suspect a configuration issue at your end.

ReadyCLOUD isn't the easiest thing to set up. It requires various steps. It is hard to diagnose where things may have give wrong with so little to go on.

I assume that you have your router registered in the router.

Have you installed the ReadyCLOUD software?

Did you factory reset the thing after the latest firmware update?

Message 4 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/en/router-setup.html

I have done everything outlined on this ‘netgear readycloud’ setup page.

it doesn’t mention spending 40 days and 40 nights making screenshots so I can get MY settings back after a reset!

And no, I don’t have ‘Readycloud’ software that I am aware of and that is not mentioned as a requirement either in the router setup nor the afore mentioned Readycloud set up page(see above).  WHERE IS IT? WHY WOULD/SHOULD I NEED IT?

The icon symbols I see are a neat little image of the R7000 router with antennas and another nest little image if a folder with my USB storage name under it. And as stated clicking on the ‘routrer’ to show the ‘share name’ in the right side will show the share, BUT selecting it DOES NOTHING, ZIP, NADA, ZILTCH.

And I ASSUME my router is registered in the router or I would not be able to access it.

i can get to the share drive via http and ftp but that only allows read, and NOT write to it.

Message 5 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

OK, getting somewhere, don’t know where yet as the share drive files/folders won’t display.

BUT,  in the bottom advanced settings is one for  ‘Enable any USB device connectrped to the router’ with radio buttons for YES and NO.

NO, was selected(by default I assume). I selected YES hit apply and now selection of the share name at the ReadyCloud site at least tries to,populate. Not there yet but closer.

Funny how that arcane setting was failed to be mentioned in ANY of the Readyckoud setups I could find.

i have made a backup,of my settings. And maybe will try the reset thing if it still,doesn’t populate the share drive at the ready cloud site.

Message 6 of 19

What does that mean? Login with what? Login tio what?   L...

@r7000_nooby wrote:

And I ASSUME my router is registered in the router or I would not be able to access it.

Apart from not making sense – the router needs to be registered in ReadyCLOUD – the "I assume" bit points to a possible misconfiguration at your end.

If your router is registered in  ReadyCLOUD you will see this message on the ReadyCLOUD setup page.

This router is registered with the following ReadyCLOUD user: .....

Setting up this stuff is not straightforward, so it is easy to understand how people get confused.

You said earlier:

I have set up Readycloud, have a ReadyCloud account, and am able to login in to it from a browser.

What does that mean? Login with what? Login tio what?

Let's get back to basics. What do you want ReadyCLOUD to do?

It is not there to provide local access to your USB devices. ReadySHARE does that. ReadyCLOUD is there to let you get into your devices from afar, over an internet connection. As the manual says it is all about remote access.

That being the case, how you access remotely depends on how you are trying to get in there. In my case, one way in is with the Android app.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 92.

This is more detailed than the page you linked to.

Message 7 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

1. The router dashboard states ‘this router is registered to <user@emailaddress.com in 2 different places. In the basic area under USB and again in the Advanced section in the USB settings.

SO! Once again I ‘assume’ I should be able to login to the http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/index.html

And access what is on the share drive.

i have read the FAQ from top to bottom over and over for the past year and have gotten no farther than logging in seeing the R7000 symbol, and clicking on it brings up the USB_Storage folder icon, and clicking on that TAKES IT BACK TO THE R7000 router icon.

i cannot see what is on the drive.

As far as what I want to use it for, if I need to get X-rays or other medical information from my Doctors, or hospital to take to another facility, at this time I am just SOL! Or any number of places I go, still SOL! 

As far as the iOS app. Really poorly designed and implemented, and I have yet to read a positive review of it.

WHICH IS WHY I WANT TO ACCESS IT WITH A BROWSER!

Time to close this thread as you are not being helpful! And I am not sure it is worth the time and effort to get the damned thing working.

So, if you don’t have better ‘support’ than I have seen the past few days, please do not respond!

I really don’t need some of the sarcasm you have poured on me!

Message 8 of 19

@r7000_nooby wrote:
  1. The router dashboard states ‘this router is registered to <user@emailaddress.com in 2 different places. In the basic area under USB and again in the Advanced section in the USB settings. 

I can find neither of those places in the browser interface.

I can find:

>> Basic >> ReadySHARE >> USB Storage (Basic Settings) >> ReadyCLOUD

and

>> Advanced >> ReadySHARE >> ReadyCLOUD

If it is registered there, fine. You are well on the way. 

(The reason for providing detailed description like these is that without them we are all guessing on the basis of incomplete information.)

The other side of the equation is the USB drives themselves.

In:

>> Basic >> ReadySHARE >> USB Storage (Basic Settings)

What do you see under?

Available Network Folders

You say that you can see the Share Name in the browser. What about the permissions in there?

More important, can you get at those shares locally?

at: \\readyshare\

ReadyCLOUD is not designed to give you local access to your USB drives. ReadySHARE  does that. 

Demonstrating that ReadySHARE works is probably a good first step. If that falls over, fix ReadySHARE and ReadyCLOUD should follow suit.

An important bit of information still missing from your account is the nature of the USB drives connected to your router. That will affect how ReadySHARE works and hence ReadyCLOUD.

Unfortunately, ReadySHARE is a blunt instrument with limited capability. It does not play nicely with some drives, exotic formats or partitioned drives.

Believe me, no one is trying to be awkward, merely to get answers to questions that make it possible to understand what you want to do and where it is going wrong.

For example, it may be obvious to you what you mean when you write:

Accessing the USB with a browser? A browser on what? A local PC? A mobile device?

That is not at all obvious from your messages. Nor is it clear to me what you want to do with ReadyCLOUD.

Message 9 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

My response is mostly in caps(and BOLD), not yelling, so don't get all OCD about it please.

@r7000_nooby wrote:
The router dashboard states ‘this router is registered to <user@emailaddress.com in 2 different places. In the basic area under USB and again in the Advanced section in the USB settings.

I can find neither of those places in the browser interface.

I can find:

>> Basic >> ReadySHARE >> USB Storage (Basic Settings) >> ReadyCLOUD

YES THAT IS WHAT IS THERE

and

>> Advanced >> ReadySHARE >> ReadyCLOUD

YES THAT IS WHAT IS IN THERE TOO

If it is registered there, fine. You are well on the way.

WISH THAT WERE SO!

BUT IT IS REGISTERED ACORDING TO THE ROUTER LOGIN SETTINGS.

(The reason for providing detailed description like these is that without them we are all guessing on the basis of incomplete information.)

YEAH YEAH I GET THAT!

The other side of the equation is the USB drives themselves.

In:

>> Basic >> ReadySHARE >> USB Storage (Basic Settings)

What do you see under?

Available Network Folders

//Readyshare/USB_Storage (MY SHARE NAME I PRESUME -gonna get gig for this presumption thing aren't I?)

You say that you can see the Share Name in the browser. What about the permissions in there?
'ALL' FOR EVERY BOX TO THE RIGHT OF //Readyshare/USB_Storage THAT HAS PERMISSIONS IN THEM.

More important, can you get at those shares locally?

at: \\readyshare\

IF I 'MAP' THE SHARE AS A NETWORK DRIVE. YES I CAN! WHICH I HAVE DONE MANY TIMES.
AND I SEE IT ON MY IPAD USING THE HTTP ADDRESS.

ReadyCLOUD is not designed to give you local access to your USB drives. ReadySHARE does that.

I DON'T WANT LOCAL ACCESS, BUT IF I CAN'T GET TO IT FROM MY LOCAL PC'S AS A TEST, THEN I WON'T BE ABLE TO GET TO IT FROM ANYWHERE ESLE I HAVE ACCESS TO A BROWSER CAN I???

Demonstrating that ReadySHARE works is probably a good first step. If that falls over, fix ReadySHARE and ReadyCLOUD should follow suit.

An important bit of information still missing from your account is the nature of the USB drives connected to your router. That will affect how ReadySHARE works and hence ReadyCLOUD.

IT IS AN EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE. (IF THAT IS IT'S 'NATURE')
WHAT IT IS NOT IS A ReadyNAS DEVICE!
AND IF THAT IS WHAT I NEED THEN ALL THIS BACK AND FORTH IS JUST DRIBBLING AGAINST THE WIND!

Unfortunately, ReadySHARE is a blunt instrument with limited capability. It does not play nicely with some drives, exotic formats or partitioned drives.

NOT ONLY BLUNT, BUT SEEMINGLY IMPROBABLE IMO!

Believe me, no one is trying to be awkward, merely to get answers to questions that make it possible to understand what you want to do and where it is going wrong.

SEEMED AWKWARD TO ME ANYWAY!

For example, it may be obvious to you what you mean when you write:

Accessing the USB with a browser? A browser on what? A local PC? A mobile device?

AGAIN, IF I CAN'T ACCESS READYCLOUD WITH MY HOME PC< THEN I MOST LIKELY WON'T BE ABLE TO ACCESS IT FROM A PC AT THE LIBRARY< MY DOCTOR< THE HOSPITAL WHERE EVER ELSE!!!

That is not at all obvious from your messages. Nor is it clear to me what you want to do with ReadyCLOUD.

I THINK I HAVE INDICATED SEVERAL TIMES I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS(READ/WRITE) TO THE FOLDERS AND FILES ON MY EXTERNAL READYSHARE HARD DRIVE  FROM A REMOTE PC.

SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOUR SENSE OF PROPER WORDING AND GRAMMER.

Message 10 of 19

I'm sorry, but once again we have incomplete information, and this time it may be important.

@r7000_nooby wrote:

IT IS AN EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE. (IF THAT IS IT'S 'NATURE')

My question should have been clearer. What is the make and size of the USB drive. And how is it formatted?

If it is one of those USB enclosures that needs separate power, or if it is much over 4 TB, it can cause problems, as in "not work". That is what I meant when I said that ReadySHARE is a blunt weapon. It is not particularly capable or versatile.

If you have something simple, like a small "thumbdrive", see if that plays nicely with ReadySHARE and ReadyCLOUD.

I still feel that you should get ReadySHARE to work locally first. With that sorted, you will be in a better position to play with ReadyCLOUD.

At the moment we don't know if it is the USB drive or ReadyCLOUD that is playing up.The USB drive is the first link in the chain. You may have ReadyCLOUD configured perfectly, but the drive is not playing ball.

By the way, mapping a drive should not be necessary. (But people do use that term in different ways.) It should be visible in your local file manager.

Just throw \\READYSHARE at it and browse the files. If you cannot get at your files in that way, sort that out and then try ReadyCLOUD.

As guidance, here is what I see in my local browser:

ReadyCLOUD_2018-06-17.png

That is with a 1 TB Toshiba USB drive. NTFS formatted.

I am now using an R7800, but the same thing applies to the R7000P that I have also been using.

Message 11 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

External Hard Drive is a Maxtor One Touch probably circa 2006 or near about. It is in an ‘enclosure’ and size is listed in the router settings as 232GB. It is a powered unit, and connected to the router via a USB cable in the front blue port. No big deal to move it to the rear port if necessary. But I had this ‘Readycloud’ problem when it was in the rear USB port.

I honestly can’t tell you the format! Factory is/was Fat32, & I don’t remember reformatting to NTFS. I will have to disconnect it, plug it into the PC, and doing the format check from there.

i have ‘thrown’ \\Readyshare in explorer, and a browser, and all I get is redirected to a search page with more links than I am willing to look at.

Yes, in Windows I have it ‘mapped’ using ‘Map Network Drive’ and pointing it to \\Readyshare\USB_Storage. In Linux it is a samba connection.

BTW, when I log in to ReadyCLOUD, mine looks ‘similar’ to the image you posted EXCEPT all I see are the Router icon and a single folder Image. No other folders/files are shown below that single folder image. If I close click the router, it changes to a folder, and if I then click that folder, it changes back to the router image. 

In other words, I can’t see what is in the Share folder! As your image indicates that you can.

So what do you want next? 

EDIT: I disconnected the ‘mapped network drive’, and if I double click the R7000 under Network   It lets me browse the share. I don’t know if I can write to it, but will try later.

Message 12 of 19

@r7000_nooby wrote:

External Hard Drive is a Maxtor One Touch probably circa 2006 or near about. 

Not on the "accepted list":

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That list is not entirely reliable, but that drive does seem to be one of those "fancy" numbers that has its own software and needs windows drivers. None of that plays well with ReadySHARE, which is why I advocate using ReadySHARE rather than ReadyCLOUD to test your drives.

Try something else. Start with a simple thumbdrive, as I suggested earlier.

To me it looks increasingly like this could be the problem rather than ReadyCLOUD.

Message 13 of 19

@r7000_nooby wrote:

External Hard Drive is a Maxtor One Touch probably circa 2006 or near about. 

Not on the "accepted list":

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That list is not entirely reliable, or up toi date, but your drive does seem to be one of those "fancy" numbers that has its own software and needs windows drivers. None of that plays well with ReadySHARE, which is why I advocate using ReadySHARE rather than ReadyCLOUD to test your drives.

Try something else.Start with a sim ple thumbdrive.

To me it looks increasingly like this could be your problem rather than ReadyCLOUD.

Message 14 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

I have looked at every cd, dvd, floppy disk that I have(yes I keep things), and I can not find any that have windows drivers for that external drive.

if I look at the ‘accepted’ list , the Maxtor Basic Portable is probably what I actually have. I will check.

otherwise why would it be recognized as a ‘readyshare’ connected to the router ports?

I guess I am just a dumb old man, but some things are not making sense to me!

And I do not see any drivers(USB or otherwise) in the device manager for the desktop, nor either laptop.

another thing I will need to dig into.

But if that is the case, I will have to live without netgears vaunted ReadyCLOUD!

Message 15 of 19

@r7000_nooby wrote:

It is not a wise move to play the age trick with me.

Is there any reason, beyond being old and ornery, why you can't try a different USB drive in your router?

Message 16 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@r7000_nooby wrote:

And still doesn't make sense to me. If I connect the One Touch 4 directly to the PC, Win10, win7, and openSUSE all recognize it as a 'connected device' without having to do any kind of 'sotware' install. 

>>It is not a wise move to play the age trick with me.

Sorry no offense meant, I am OLD, I AM curmudgeonly, and a ROYAL PAIN!

>>Is there any reason, beyond being old and ornery, why you can't try a different USB drive in your router?

No, except all of my USB sticks have live linux or linux installs on them, and I won't put them in jeopardy of data loss. Again Sorry, but it is me being me!

For me it has been a long, frustrating time messing with this.

So, I will unregister my Readycloud account, and get on with the rest of my life, and let you get on with yours.

Thanks for your time. 

Message 17 of 19

@r7000_nooby wrote:

No offence taken, but there is a good chance that I can beat you on the GOG (grumpy old git) front. I am too old to be a baby boomer.

On Windows drivers and your USB box, you often don't have to install them. They are built into Windows, but not, sadly, into the "operating system" that Netgear uses to run routers. That is why ReadySHARE is limited in the drives it USB supports.

As a Linux user, you will surely have encountered devices that you cannot get to work. We see those "where can I get Unix" drivers here from time to time.

Message 18 of 19
r7000_nooby
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@r7000_nooby wrote:

No offence taken, but there is a good chance that I can beat you on the GOG (grumpy old git) front. I am too old to be a baby boomer.

what is a baby boomer? I have siblings older than baby boomers.

On Windows drivers and your USB box, you often don't have to install them. They are built into Windows, but not, sadly, into the "operating system" that Netgear uses to run routers. That is why ReadySHARE is limited in the drives it USB supports.

my external USB is not on the list for the R7000, so why does it work in Windows network, and Linux as well?

As a Linux user, you will surely have encountered devices that you cannot get to work. We see those "where can I get Unix" drivers here from time to time.

so far I have not had a device ‘not’ recognized yet by Linux. Only a multi-function that Canon doesn’t make Linux drivers for. I even sent them a picture if the box stating ‘drivers for Windows, MAC, and Linux’. The scanner works, the fax works, but no printer drivers.

But> not your problem. 

Probaby should end this thread now. Getting past it’s intended purpose.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7