Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Facetime audio calls not working using iPhone

TheArtfulCodger
Aspirant

Facetime audio calls not working using iPhone

I have a Netgear Nighthawk MR60 mesh system with a WiFi router and one satellite. Since I installed it, I cannot make calls using my iPhone xs with either of my Mac computers. The window comes up telling me I’m using Facetime audio with my iPhone, but I immediately get a message in the window saying that the phone and the computer must be connected to the same WiFi network in order to complete the call.

On my Nighthawk app, all 3 devices show up on my 5 GHz network.

This worked with the former WiFi router I had and replaced. It was not a mesh system. That router had the ability to connect to either the 2.5 GHz or the 5 GHz network manually. Apparently, the Nighthawk does not have the manual connection option.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheArtfulCodger
Aspirant

Re: Facetime audio calls not working using iPhone

Update

This is working for me now for the last 2 days.

When the new WiFi router was set up, I took advantage of the option to use the exact same network name and password for my network that was used with the previous router (different manufacturer and network type). Basically, I’m lazy and didn’t want to relog into 20+ devices on the existing network. That may have contributed to the problem.

As I said previously, I logged out of Facetime on my Macbook Pro {MBP) and logged right back in again. There was no difference in operation. However, I shut the Macs down at the end of every day and restart them the following morning. The day after I did the Facetime logout/login, tried it again and it worked. Also got a notification on my other Apple devices about the log in on the MBP after using phone with facetime.

So I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

This issue exists much longer than any Mesh system - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6614193 - proofs to be commonly related to whatever strict security blocking on MacOS and/or iOS. Earlier days it typically hit the MacOS systems. Probably this became even worse with the Apple's wonderful magic privacy enhancements on iOS.

All your systems connected to the MR60 Mesh system are on the same network - it does not matter which radio or Ethernet port is used.

I'd suggest to challenge Apple what is causing this nonsense message. Almost certainly it's not the WiFi or the router....

Message 2 of 4
TheArtfulCodger
Aspirant

Thanks for thr reply. I'll try elsewhere.

Message 3 of 4
TheArtfulCodger
Aspirant

Update

This is working for me now for the last 2 days.

When the new WiFi router was set up, I took advantage of the option to use the exact same network name and password for my network that was used with the previous router (different manufacturer and network type). Basically, I’m lazy and didn’t want to relog into 20+ devices on the existing network. That may have contributed to the problem.

As I said previously, I logged out of Facetime on my Macbook Pro {MBP) and logged right back in again. There was no difference in operation. However, I shut the Macs down at the end of every day and restart them the following morning. The day after I did the Facetime logout/login, tried it again and it worked. Also got a notification on my other Apple devices about the log in on the MBP after using phone with facetime.

So I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s fixed.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7