Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk AX3600 MK83 Mesh SUCKS!

Ralphie2
Tutor

Nighthawk AX3600 MK83 Mesh SUCKS!

I purchased the NightHawk Tri-band WiFi6 Mesh system MK84 (an MK83 Mesh system with an additional MS80 satellite).  I followed the initial setup instructions but am unable to complete the setup because the Nighthawk application tells me that I am not connected to the (MR80) router.  When I check my phones WiFi connection it shows I'm connected (with airplane mode on and WiFi on) but the app always says that I'm NOT connected and I'm unable to complete the setup.  My phone is an updated Galaxy S8+ and while connected I am able to web surf but the NH app says I'm not connected (which is false since I'm clearly connected to WiFi internet via the MR80 router).  I have reset the router and deleted then installed the app again but have the same issue.  I have tried to manually configure the router but the two IPs do not work nor does routerlogin.net.  It seems the router is routing traffic for the internet connection but is inaccessible for completion of the setup process or to manually configure the router.

Has anyone had the same issues and found the solution?  I did the Customer Technical Support thing and after troubleshooting was eventually told that I should get a refund as it was likely bad new equipment.

I'm extremely dissapointed with Netgear for selling $500+ components without having them go through basic operational tests prior to taking someone's money for the product.

I'm now very hesitant to trust Netgear with an additional $540 (or more for Orbi) on a replacement unit.  If I'm still unable to get the Nighthawk dialed in I'll shoot for their closest competitor.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX3600 MK83 Mesh SUCKS!

What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

A modem/router combo device can cause a double nat and cause issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

A modem/router combo device can cause a double nat and cause issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using a Wired PC and web broswer to set up the MK system...

Message 3 of 7
Ralphie2
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk AX3600 MK83 Mesh SUCKS! ....updated

I did end up finding the same solution in my head at about 2am : Ding-Ding : and disconnected everything on the router half of my modem and anything still connected to it on WiFi with auto connects off on any devices.. Roku, spouse' phone and laptop, etc. This resolved my issues after resets of both the modem and NightHawk router.  The interesting thing is that I had previousely turned off the WiFi of my modem/router device in anticipation and it shows as being turned off in the configuration but the radios are still showing and proving to be on.  I guess its possible that my Frontier modem default is WiFi always on regardless of what the toggle shows in the configuration.  Guess I must hide it or change its name or both.  Finally got to bed at ~3am with an exhausted grin after updating all firmware.

Thanks bunches Plemans for the correct response and I hope this helps others better appreciate their NightHawk Mesh systems.

I'd recommend Netgear throw in a yellow card in the retail box or similar to alert less savvy buyers about this potential conflict and basic steps to resolution.  I think half of the negative (usually 1 star) reviews arise from this very issue.  At the very least the support tech that helped me should have--after 90 minutes--arrived at the obvious solution before asking me to "simply" return the MK84 Mesh kit.

Message 4 of 7
Ralphie2
Tutor

Thanks FURRY.  That was actually how I ended up successfully setting up my previous mesh system . . an Orbi AC1200.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX3600 MK83 Mesh SUCKS! ....updated

Glad you got it working!

Let us know if you have further issues. We're happy to help

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

@Ralphie2 wrote:

Thanks FURRY.  That was actually how I ended up successfully setting up my previous mesh system . . an Orbi AC1200.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7