× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

802.11k configuration (and RSSI-triggered de-registration to force sticky clients)

enger
Tutor

802.11k configuration (and RSSI-triggered de-registration to force sticky clients)

I have an R7800.   It operates in AP mode. 

I also have a new ASUS RT-AX89X on the same LAN; it too is set to operate in AP mode.  They are both configured to the same SSID.

801.11k  Question

The debug page on the R7800 shows that "Enble 11k" is checked.

What I don't know is HOW to configure the R7800 with information about the other hard-wired APs on the network?

Is there a write-up on Netgear's implementation of 11k?  Does it self-configure based on some proprietary inter-AP exchange?  Does it only work with other Netgear APs?  HOW does the R7800 learn about the other APs (that it should be advertising to clients via 801.11k)???

Using Low RSSI to Trigger De-Registration of Sticky Clients

Even 11k won't dislodge some sticky client stations.  

For non-time-critical clients, one sure-fire method is for the AP to monitor RSSI, and when a client drops below a defined signal-level, the AP de-registers them.  This FORCES the client station to immediately re-scan and they then pick-up the closer AP and latch onto it.  (This is not as optimal as having a client station that properly implements 11k and "does the right thing".  BUT, it is still better than having the sticky client linger in low-RSSI limbo, getting tiny throughput AND lowering total capacity of the remote AP that it is wrongly clinging onto.)  

Is there some hidden control in the R7800 that can enable RSSI-triggered de-registration???   (IF NOT, is Netgear committed to adding this SOON???) 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 802.11k configuration (and RSSI-triggered de-registration to force sticky clients)

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7