× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone actually have gaming prioritization working?

disposalist
Aspirant

Anyone actually have gaming prioritization working?

Has anyone actually got this working?

I play Battlefield 1 = I get no latency or jitter warnings.

I watch Netflix or YouTube on the same machine = I get some warnings.

I enable Anti-Bufferbloat at 50% + I set the exact Battlefield 1 ports as priority = I see prioritization happening, but get even more warnings and noticable issues.

I fiddle around changing Anti-Bufferbloat settings and off/on and adding removing the DumaOS Classified prioritization and it never loses the warnings and problems.

It was actually better when I removed all the Anti-Bufferbloat and prioritization settings.

As it is, this process is painful (having to set mutiple port ranges because the basic "Battlefield" setting doesn't prioritize) and doesn't work and I'll be sending the router back.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is this only supposed to work for traffic going to different machines on the network?  I'd really like to be able to game and have a YouTube or Netflix vid running.
My PC and GPU can handle it (i9 and 1080Ti) - just need to stop vid interfering with game and thought that's exactly what packet prioritization is supposed to do?

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
disposalist
Aspirant

Re: Anyone actually have gaming prioritization working?

35 views and no one has gotten it working?  Or just not getting viewed by XR700 users?

I just did a test with Battlefield 1 using its network graphing function (very handy for these kind of problems) and they show that there is no difference between QoS on or off when not using Netflix (which is to expected - I just did it to see if QoS does anything weird), but with Netflix running the only difference between using QoS or not was that the latency peaks get HIGHER with QoS ON!  What?...

Message 2 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - could you follow this guide please to get QoS setup optimally: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-q...

Let us know if you're still not seeing an improvement after that. BF1 is not currently recognised automatically, so I recommend you manually add the ports to Traffic Prioritisation.

If you need help with that, please let us know.

Message 3 of 9
disposalist
Aspirant

I did do all that (as I explained in my posts).

I tried with all set (anti-bufferbloat, gaming PC with majority bandwidth allocated, and specific TCP and UDP ports and ranges prioritised).

I tried with various combinations being on/off and with different amounts in bufferbloat and bandwidth allocation.

Nothing fixed the issue.

Netflix on = pulses of latency increase.

Netflix off = steady low latency.

Even tried running netflix on another PC on the network and on my phone.  Using the phone app the pulses were less frequent, but still there.

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you explain the physical setup you have please? E.g. ISP hub (modem mode) > XR700 (all devices) etc. Do you use IPv6 or PPPoE?

What are the ports you have added to Traffic Prioritization?

Have you entered your correct bandwidth into Anti-Bufferbloat's options? Also just confirm you haven't disabled it fully there.
Message 5 of 9
disposalist
Aspirant

Plusnet VDSL > Netgear DM200 in modem only mode > XR700 > gaming PC

Battlefield 1 ports added to prioritsation (as several rules): -

TCP: 5222, 9988, 17502, 20000-20100, 22990, 42127

UDP: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300

Corrent bandwidth entered, yes.  My line is rated 80/20 but I entered 69/17 which was what was reported by DSLReports speedcheck.

I tried all three bufferbloat settings Always/When Priority/Never. Same result each time.

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the info. When streaming Netflix do you notice high priority packets for download updating rapidly?
Message 7 of 9
disposalist
Aspirant

I would have to run the tests again and I no longer have the router.

The retailer accepted it back.

Sorrry, but adding a dozen rules per game is too compex and if it only does prioritising with port ranges, that's not sophisticated enough.

I just installed a £40 EdgeRouter X and it does the job with its default SQM.

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh I see sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll consider us again in the future!
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7