× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot complete setup - error 400

cabwav
Tutor

Cannot complete setup - error 400

I am trying to configure a brand new XR500 but the setup dialog fails with a '400 invalid request' message.
The dialog successfully completes:

• admin password change
  • internet connection check (reporting the correct u/d speeds)
  • two 'check questions' , and the encryption step

In the next step, I get an error screen with the 400 invalid request message ('the server does not support this request etc' )  and I can't continue.  

I tried a factory reset but that didn't solve the problem

What can I do to solve this?

S/W 2.3.2.114

modem: ARRIS TG2492LG (bridge mode)

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Cannot complete setup - error 400

Glad you managed to get past that point. Are you trying to access the interface using HTTPS instead of HTTP by any chance? Switch the ISP router to router mode i.e. take it out of bridge mode and see if you can get a connection through the XR then - you may need to reboot the XR from the interface after this to get the connection

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try setting up using the Microsoft Edge browser and see if that works
Message 2 of 8
cabwav
Tutor

Thank you for your reply. I was using the Edge browser for the config setup. I tried other browsers too, cleared the cache etc. (sorry, I forgot to mention that Smiley Embarassed).

Update: Finally, after resetting the modem + router and rebooting my PC several times I was finally able to complete the configuration. At first, the router seemed to work ok, and I got decent u/d speeds. But after around 15-30 minutes the router UI response time went downhill fast, and it took several minutes for a configuration screen to load (lots of rotating circles). The router CPU monitor showed loads ranging from 50 - 100%, and at times stayed at 100% for several minutes, with messages popping up telling me that I lost the connection to the router. Although the router info showed that I had a valid WAN connection, I was unable to visit internet pages and/or the network icon on the taskbar showed as 'no internet connection'. 

So I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Is the router defective? Is it because the modem is set to bridge mode and the XR500 gets confused? 
I checked my ISP btw and they confirm that the router is still in bridge mode, and they see no problems on their end ('all indicators are green'). 

So if anyone has suggestions on how to solve this, please let me know, any help is much appreciated  

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Glad you managed to get past that point. Are you trying to access the interface using HTTPS instead of HTTP by any chance? Switch the ISP router to router mode i.e. take it out of bridge mode and see if you can get a connection through the XR then - you may need to reboot the XR from the interface after this to get the connection
Message 4 of 8
cabwav
Tutor

I am pretty sure that I accessed the router with HTTP because I entered the router's IP address or used 'routerlogin.net' in the URL address bar which is 'translated' to HTTP afaik. But I will check this to be sure, though I must say that I am a bit puzzled: why would HTTPS access lead to the problems I ran into?

FYI I re-installed my old router (Nighthawk R7000) for the time being because I need a working internet connection. I will be out of town for the next 1-2 weeks but I will try the factory reset of the ISP modem when I am back.  

Thank you for your suggestions so far and I promise to keep you posted Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When using HTTPS something in the browser code itself conflicts with the processes the router runs and causes issues. As no sensitive information is entered on the interface it's fine to use HTTP.

Okay keep us posted!
Message 6 of 8
cabwav
Tutor

Update:

I asked my ISP to switch my modem back to router mode, and also asked to check my connection. It turned out that there were a number of stabilty issues that were (partly) solved and this notably improved the situation: I was able to complete the router setup without a hitch. It is still work in progress tho: their system engineer started some logging software to monitor my connection because they still noticed some (minor) issues.
I then connected all my network devices one at a time, and this way I found out that one of my two Netgear NASses (RN316 and NVX Pro) is causing trouble: as soon as I connect the NVX the router UI locks up, the router CPU usage goes up to an almost continuous 100% and the connection to my PC is reported as disconnected.  
So at this time, my router setup problem seems to be solved: my XR500 is working properly, and I also get the up/down network speeds that I pay for Smiley Very Happy  I now have a new problem which is to figure out why my NVX is messing up but at least I know where to look.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will mark this thread as 'solved'      

cheers, Cabwav

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh brilliant to hear that, we'll done on getting it resolved and thanks for posting the solution
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7