× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS Suffix

ahettlin
Aspirant

DNS Suffix

I had to replace my old router with DD-WRT because it was severely limiting my internet speed (by about 50%).  I was debating between getting an XR500 or an X6S.  I chose the XR500 because of what I read about DumaOS being such a great OS.  The first thing I noticed when setting it up is that the software seems to be pretty lacking. Sure, it's pretty, but there are very few settings available.  The one feature I really liked on my DD-WRT router is the ability to set the DNS Suffix so I can access the machines on my network by hostname.  Does that feature exist and I just can't find it?  If not, can it be implemented?  It seems like a feature that should be standard.  Thanks.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: DNS Suffix

That feature is not available as far as I am aware. Settings is developed by Netgear so that would be one for them to do. I'll pass on your request to their team.
Message 2 of 6
ahettlin
Aspirant

Ok. That makes sense.  Thanks for passing it along.  I suppose I'll have to figure out an alternative solution for now, or get a different router.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest sticking with it for the QoS and Geo-Filter features, they will make a big difference to your gaming and general online experience.
Message 4 of 6
ahettlin
Aspirant

I was able to get it working by keeping my old router with DD-WRT and using it for DHCP with the DNS suffix enabled there and disabling DHCP on the new router.  It adds another device to the mix, but at least it works for now.

Message 5 of 6
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok, well done for finding a workaround.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7