× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Double NAT Issue on XR500 and DM200 Vdsl Modem

VillageSpaceman
Aspirant

Double NAT Issue on XR500 and DM200 Vdsl Modem

I’m trying to setup my XR500 with a DM200(not liking this modem) for a decent Xbox One connection.

I originally setup the DM200 in modem mode only but the XR500 was unable to even detect any internet connection whatsoever no matter what I tried. The only way I could get it to work was with the DM200 in modem/router mode.

But this is causing a double NAT problem. 

Is there any way I can get the XR500 to detect the connection with the DM200 in modem only mode or any tips on the best solution to fix NAT issues in this configuration?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Double NAT Issue on XR500 and DM200 Vdsl Modem

Not sure why you were unable to get a connection using modem mode, did you reboot both after configuring this setup? You may also require PPPoE.

For the current setup you have the easiest way would be to put the WAN IP from the XR500 System Information page into the DMZ on the DM200. Then disable UPnP/any port forwarding rules and WiFi on the DM200 and connect all devices to the XR500. This would resolve the double NAT issue. You could then either let UPnP open your NAT for your console automatically or put the Xbox into the XR500 DMZ.
Message 2 of 9
VillageSpaceman
Aspirant

Apparently the DM200 doesn’t have a DMZ option.

I tried rebooting both in different orders and didn’t seem to help, but my Asus ac86u was able to detect the connection and go through setup.. 

Is there any reason the XR500 might not be able to detect the connection at all? It has an amber light so must be recognising the modem itself but when I load up any internet setup it just says no internet connection found. Couldn’t get it to work for this router until I reset the modem and set it to modem/router mode. (Netgear DM200 is a very basic modem that doesn’t even have wifi)

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If thats the case then it sounds like you need PPPoE, do you know if thats the case?
Message 4 of 9
VillageSpaceman
Aspirant

I am currently running in ppoe on the XR500 with my username and password entered.

it doesn’t even see a connection at all in initial setup or in manual setup 

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so it's all working now and you have a connection?
Message 6 of 9
VillageSpaceman
Aspirant

I have a connection with the DM200 in router mode at the expense of a double NAT, but not as soon as I switch to modem mode

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It might be best to call Netgear Support from: http://support.netgear.com/ as the DM200 is theirs as well they probably have a better idea than I about configuring them together.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance your ISP supports any different model modems? I would check there web site to see what they support. I'd get into a different modem, something hopefully thats stand alone and doesn't have a built in router. If you have to get a different one with a built in router, hopefully you can get one with a DMZ feature. This will be very helpful for NAT issues in this kind of configuration with modem router combo units.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7