× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting half my service speed through XR700 - Xfinity Gigabit

dhillonovzki
Tutor

Getting half my service speed through XR700 - Xfinity Gigabit

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Just purchased an XR700 a few days ago, having a problem where I'm only achieving half the speeds through the router. When im directly hardwired to my modem it's all gravy. 

I've removed all other hardwired devices and disabled wireless radios, so the router is exclusive to the computer. I've tried disabling QOS through the hamburger menu in the QOS page and have "Share excess" enabled.

I've attached screenshots of speedtests ran via modem and router. Screenshots are from fast.com because that just so happened to be the last site I tried before deciding to post on these forums. I've also tried speedtests from other sites (speedtest.net, fast.com, speedof.me, google fiber test, dslreports) in both scenarios (Hardwired to Modem, Hardwired to router with no other devices) and get the same results.

I'm currently on firmware 1.0.1.8. I was having issues with 1.0.1.20 with R-apps not loading, I read on another thread downgrading would resolve and it has for me.

My modem is a Motorola MB8200 Docsis 3.1.

Thanks again.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Getting half my service speed through XR700 - Xfinity Gigabit

Your IP address is exposed in that picture by the looks of it. Also they same to be testing to different servers, can you test using the same server? Set the MAC address of the XR to be the same as the MAC address of the previous router then reboot and see if that helps.
Message 2 of 16
dhillonovzki
Tutor

Thanks for your response. My modem and router are new and don't have the previous hardware anymore.

All other speed test sites reported the same numbers. Speedtest.net was connected to the same server under both tests and still experiencing half speeds connected through router.

Message 3 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Reason I mentioned that is it can take a few days for the router to sync with the network and that speeds it up. Could you set it to the MAC address of the modem? If you start the setup wizard from settings again - no need to complete it, just get to the speedtest - what does it estimate there?
Message 4 of 16
dhillonovzki
Tutor

Ok i'm on it. Also, can you please check your PM. 

Message 5 of 16
dhillonovzki
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Reason I mentioned that is it can take a few days for the router to sync with the network and that speeds it up. Could you set it to the MAC address of the modem? If you start the setup wizard from settings again - no need to complete it, just get to the speedtest - what does it estimate there?

It's reporting my proper service speeds of 938 down/40 up. I stopped there.

Message 6 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Responded to PM. Okay so the router is getting near enough expected speeds so it's not getting through to the devices, could you provide a screenshot of the table view of Device Manager please?
Message 7 of 16
dhillonovzki
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Responded to PM. Okay so the router is getting near enough expected speeds so it's not getting through to the devices, could you provide a screenshot of the table view of Device Manager please?

Ok will do. If you can allow me to do this later today. I definitely want to ge this resolved but work duty calls right now. I hope you can bare with me.

Message 8 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Totally understand, take you're time and I'll respond when I can.
Message 9 of 16
dhillonovzki
Tutor

So was there something specific you were looking for in the device table? I currently have about 10 devices in there but have ran tests when only one device was connected, which was the hardwired computer I was running tests from. It’s currently connected to port 4 which is listed at full duplex with link speed at 1000 Mbits.
Message 10 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's what I was looking for, thanks. Do you have any other devices you can test with at all? If you use 5GHz WiFi can you achieve higher speeds close to the router?
Message 11 of 16
dhillonovzki
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
That's what I was looking for, thanks. Do you have any other devices you can test with at all? If you use 5GHz WiFi can you achieve higher speeds close to the router?

Here is what I tried today. Might be getting close to a return unfortunately. I see other threads with the same issue, any idea if this is a known issue being worked on?

1. Hardwired speedtest via second computer (Macbook). First computer was a PC running Windows 10. Wi-Fi Radios off, all other hardwired devices unplugged. 

- Macbook hardwired to modem = Full service speeds; >900 Mbps DL.

- Macbook hardwired to router = Half service speeds; <500 Mbps DL.

- PC hardwired to modem = Full service speeds; >900 Mbps DL.

- PC hardwired to router = Half service speeds; <500 Mbps DL.

2. 5ghz speedtest 2 feet from router. Wi-Fi Radio back on.

- iPhone, iPad, Macbook = Half speeds; <500 Mbps DL.

3. Purchased another modem (CM1000 Docsis 3.1), activated it.

- PC/Macbook hardwired to modem = Full service speed; >900 Mbps DL.

- PC/Macbook hardwired to router = Half speeds; <500 Mbps DL.

- iPhone, iPad, Macbook 5ghz to router = Half speeds; <500 Mbps DL.

4. Updated firmware of XR700 back to current 1.0.1.20 and factory reset.

- Setup wizard speedtest = 940 Mbps DL, 41 Mbps UL.

Message 12 of 16
dhillonovzki
Tutor

@dhillonovzki wrote:

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:

Here is what I tried today. Might be getting close to a return unfortunately. I see other threads with the same issue, any idea if this is a known issue being worked on?

1. Hardwired speedtest via second computer (Macbook). First computer was a PC running Windows 10. Wi-Fi Radios off, all other hardwired devices unplugged. 

- Macbook hardwired to modem = Full service speeds; >900 Mbps DL.

- Macbook hardwired to router = Half service speeds; <500 Mbps DL.

- PC hardwired to modem = Full service speeds; >900 Mbps DL.

- PC hardwired to router = Half service speeds; <500 Mbps DL.

2. 5ghz speedtest 2 feet from router. Wi-Fi Radio back on.

- iPhone, iPad, Macbook = Half speeds; <500 Mbps DL.

3. Purchased another modem (CM1000 Docsis 3.1), activated it.

- PC/Macbook hardwired to modem = Full service speed; >900 Mbps DL.

4. Updated firmware of XR700 back to current 1.0.1.20 and factory reset.

- Setup wizard speedtest = 940 Mbps DL, 41 Mbps UL.

I should add I've also tried all scenarios above with the following router settings:

1. QOS enabled and disabled,

2. Traffic prioritazion enabled and disabled.

3. Changing router MAC to Modem MAC.

4. Changed NAT to open.

5. Disabled Link aggregation.

6. Set Antibuffer bloat to Never/Always/High Priority.

7. Enabled/Disabled Share Excess.

8. The PC "Device type" to computer.

Message 13 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I really don't understand why it's not pushing those speeds through, the only thing we haven't tried yet is a factory reset. Did you have full speeds on the .20 firmware you had issues with? If so it might be some legacy issues carried over when downgrading, that's why we recommend a reset after an upgrade/downgrade.
Message 14 of 16
dhillonovzki
Tutor

The last test I did was upgrading to .20 and factory reseting. I guess theres nothing else to test out?

Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only other thing I can think of is to setup guest WiFi and see if you get the same issue, not ideal. Either way I think it's best to pursue a replacement at this stage.
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7