× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardwire Nighthawk X6 Extender

vrspectre
Apprentice

Hardwire Nighthawk X6 Extender

I just got a new Nighthawk X6 Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender today. I want to set it up. To extend my wifi network, but I want it to use a wired backhaul to the XR500. Is that possible?

I plugged it in and went through the setup and it seems to be working, but when I go to the admin page I get a note that says "Move your extender closer to your router to improve connection." in big bold on the top which makes me think it's trying to use a wireless backhaul. 

Also, when I go to Settings and click Connected Devices on the X6 it takes just sits at Please Wait a Moment spinning wheel and eventually times out. It will work 1 time if I restart the X6, then future attempts to load the page fail. 

Also when I view the Device Manager on the XR500, it shows the devices connected to the X6 in the offline section but they do have an IP address. It does now show them connected to either wireless frequency as I would have expected. Is there a way to correct that? 

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
vrspectre
Apprentice

Re: Hardwire Nighthawk X6 Extender

I figured it out. I was trying to set it up as a range extender, but what I needed to do was set it up as an AP. All is working now. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Hardwire Nighthawk X6 Extender

Please post in the wireless extender forum next time:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@vrspectre wrote:

I just got a new Nighthawk X6 Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender today. I want to set it up. To extend my wifi network, but I want it to use a wired backhaul to the XR500. Is that possible?

I plugged it in and went through the setup and it seems to be working, but when I go to the admin page I get a note that says "Move your extender closer to your router to improve connection." in big bold on the top which makes me think it's trying to use a wireless backhaul. 

Also, when I go to Settings and click Connected Devices on the X6 it takes just sits at Please Wait a Moment spinning wheel and eventually times out. It will work 1 time if I restart the X6, then future attempts to load the page fail. 

Also when I view the Device Manager on the XR500, it shows the devices connected to the X6 in the offline section but they do have an IP address. It does now show them connected to either wireless frequency as I would have expected. Is there a way to correct that? 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7