× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MTU PS4

Wyzfar
Aspirant

MTU PS4

Hello so I’ve changed my mtu on PS4 and on my XR500 I’ve expericed about 10% speeds upload and download and and have experienced a little less latency but I am just not satisfied I do get the router might not support packet fragmentation when testing speeds but I do not believe that’s a problem for me but That’s why i am here to clarify I’m also wondering if there is any way to find the lowest best mtu for me, I’m aware of the ping test but that is nonsense since it’s based on what mtu your router/pc is for example if router mtu is 1500 the lowest you get is 1472+28 but if you set mtu to 1472 the lowest you get is 1445 etc
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: MTU PS4

In all honesty, unless you have a serioulsy clear reason for changing MTU, I wouldn't change it. Will probably cause more harm than good and any benefits are likely to just be placebo effect: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/48txff/does_lowering_mtu_decrease_ping/

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/19831-best-way-to-change-mtu/

Far better to focus on getting your QoS and Geo-Filter settings as optimal as possible and find the server region that plays best for you 

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Message 2 of 15
Wyzfar
Aspirant

Well Mtu 1473 has been proven to uncap speeds, on ps4 I’ve done 2 sets of {5 round tests for both mtu 1500 and 1473, lower mtu in general is proven to lower latency and if it is not actually lowering latency then I am recieving benefit of about 30-60 more download speeds im here to basically understand how to test for optimal mtu if there’s nothing to really test it then nobody really knows does the xr500 support packet fragmentation or does my ISP (Xfinity) or my modem Cisco DPC3941T
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

For MTU values, ask the ISP for whay they suggest. MTU valules are mostly based on ISP service, Most cable ISPs use 1500, DSL vary between 1472 and 1492. 

Also your ISP modem is a gatway router. Having this in front of your XR series router will effect performaces and connections as well. It's not recommended to have two routers on the same line.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@Wyzfar wrote:
Well Mtu 1473 has been proven to uncap speeds, on ps4 I’ve done 2 sets of {5 round tests for both mtu 1500 and 1473, lower mtu in general is proven to lower latency and if it is not actually lowering latency then I am recieving benefit of about 30-60 more download speeds im here to basically understand how to test for optimal mtu if there’s nothing to really test it then nobody really knows does the xr500 support packet fragmentation or does my ISP (Xfinity) or my modem Cisco DPC3941T

Message 4 of 15
Wyzfar
Aspirant

Yea I already have my gateway in bridge mode and Comcast has told me to run a ping test in CMD to fun the lowest mtu without fragmentation which is 1472 And they said that it’s more then likely going to be my optimal mtu but if need be add to he 28 bytes
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, making sure about your modem. 

If that works then use what works best for you. 

Message 6 of 15
Wyzfar
Aspirant

ive done a test in cmd tracert 8.8.8.8 and these are my results im not sure if i have double nat or not maybe you can help cmd.JPG

Message 7 of 15
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Simplest way of testing double NAT is through the console's network test.

Message 8 of 15
Wyzfar
Aspirant

What do you mean i have a type 2 on ps4 does this mean double nat ?
Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP model # tells us it's a modem and router built in, so having the XR router connected to it, would cause a double NAT in this configuration. First post suggests a couple of options for working with modem router combo units. 

NAT Type 2 for PS consoles means there is a router in between the console and modem, this is normal. Only way to get NAT Type 1 is to directly connect game console to a modem only unit. 

Message 10 of 15
Wyzfar
Aspirant

ok yea sure its a gateway but i put the gateway in bridgemode 

Message 11 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sounds to me like your setup is optimal. MTU for gaming is one of those myths that it improves your experience.
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know what mode the modem was in. Just making sure. 

Still, NAT Type 2 will be most you'll see in this kind of configuration. 

@Wyzfar wrote:

ok yea sure its a gateway but i put the gateway in bridgemode 

Message 13 of 15
Wyzfar
Aspirant

Ok, and one last question on this thread, so when pinging my gateway in CMD (192.168.1.1) I get a Response time of 1ms and when benchmarking for the fastest dns I get 1.1.1.1 I get an average 13ms with 1.1.1.1 so I’ve came across that I can actually use my gateway as a DNS so would it be more beneficial to use 192.168.1.1 as my DNS ? I also came across in game my latency feels insanely faster Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I posted a response in your other topic about DNS
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos