× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NIGHTHAWK XR1000

Dangel2131
Initiate

NIGHTHAWK XR1000

Question for all:

I have FIOS fiber internet. I have a cheapo router that Frontier gave me where I deactivated the wifi signal on and run a whole home eero pro 6 mesh network for wifi. This cheapo Frontier router essentially acts as a gateway. It has no QOS. I am a heavy Call of Duty player and want the XR1000 for the QOS to assign priority bandwidth to my PS5 and for the Netduma. Can I replace my cheapo Frontier router with the XR1000 and deactivate the wifi so I can continue using eero mesh network AND also be able to use the XR1000 as a gateway plus use the QOS and Netduma? Is this possible? Please advise. Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: NIGHTHAWK XR1000

Check on the frontier forums what you'd need to use your own router. 

they might just need to set you up with an ONT and the proper settings and you'd be good to go. 

I wouldn't disable the wifi on the XR1000 though. I'd just make sure its on different channels than the eero and have a different ssid. 

You'll get faster speeds from the XR1000's wireless while in close range to it and it'll have lower latency. 

Worth it for the closer devices. 

Message 2 of 6
Dangel2131
Initiate

Thank you for replying! I definitely can add my own router. Fiber automatically has an ONT. Mine is in the garage. The fiber goes to it directly and then a cat 5 line runs to a switch which then splits off to all the cat 5 wall ports in the house. The cheapo router they provide is only acting as a gateway/wifi axis point which again I disabled. So it is really a gateway for LAN. I just wonder if DUMA OS 3.0 will work with wifi disabled on the XR1000. And I don’t need any better wifi in the office where this setup will be. The eero mesh is perfection for wifi. The goal is to only improve bufferbloat and reduce ping for call of duty game play.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you're wanting improved speeds, you'll need to make sure the eero is running through the XR1000. 

you can disable the wifi on it without issues. 

And if your ISP supports getting rid of their router, you should be fine. Plenty of other people have done so 

Message 4 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You will be able to connect the XR to the ONT and disable the WiFi on it. It depends on how the Eero handles the IPs for the devices connected to it, whether they receive an IP from the Eero or the main router itself as that will determine the level of control you'll have. I.e. if the router handles the IPs then you can control each device individually, if not then you'll only be able to see the Eero for example
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7