× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Speed Test Much Slower Than When Connected to Modem

Joshuan
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Speed Test Much Slower Than When Connected to Modem

Please help.

I have had this router for a few years, and recently I started to have two separate issues.

Issue 1:  After my desktop is connected to wifi for an extended period of time, I start to get crazy ping spikes.  I am able to surf the net and send emails, but it makes online gaming impossible.  I can't replicate this issue.  The timing that it occurs is all over the place.

Issue 2: I recently upgraded to 1gbps internet service.  When I plug directly into the modem I get 970 mbps; however, when I plug in through my router or connect wirelessly, I get significantly less performance (200mbps - 300 mbps).  The speed bounces around a lot too.  When I do the internal speed test, I receive 300 mbps or less.

Things I have tired/important things to note:

*Plugging into the modem solves both issues no problem.

*QoS is off, and never has been on.
*Purchased new CAT7 cables.  Didn't impact the speed that the router was finding in the speed test, nor did it help with the spikey ping.  I also used a spare CAT5e cable I had laying around.
*I have reset the router about a million times.
*I have rest the cable modem many, many times.

*I changed the output mode to less than max on the 5ghz network.  Prior to upgrading my internet I had it down at 600mpbs broadcast on my 5ghz, and the spikey ping was gone!  However, after upgrading my internet, it seems to have returned...  Also I was getting way slower internet when I dropped the broadcast down.

*I have updated to the newest firmware.

Things that I may try if people suggest it:

*Factory reset of the router.

*I saw a post that mentioned going to firmware 1.0.3.54, but I don't know if this will do anything.

Please help.  Also, if you need additional information let me know.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Speed Test Much Slower Than When Connected to Modem

@Joshuan wrote:

Just to let you know, I went to the older firmware, and I updated the driver on my network card.  I am not experiencing issue one; however, the download speed is still about 300 Mbps.  Additionally, I plugged my laptop directly into my laptop and fast.com showed that it was receiving a speed of 950 Mbps.  So, I am pretty sure that something is going on with the wireless signal.

-Josh

Not really. Wireless speeds aren't going to be as fast as wired. And a lot depends on the device you're using. If you're laptop/phone is a 1x1 or 2x2 antenna arrangement, its going to be slower. Plus it'll be significantly slower on 2.4ghz versus 5ghz. The realtek is a 2x2 and isn't that great of a card in the first place.

If you're pulling the full speeds from the router while wired, thats to be expected. Wireless isn't going to hit that currently. Even the newer AX routers connected to a wireless AX card *might* be able to max out gigabit. There's a lot more info at this site on wifi speeds, expectations, and cutting through all the marketing hype by router manufacturers: 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

the vast majority of the time the limiting factor to wireless (if you have a decent enough router) is the wireless device itself. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. What modem are you using?

2. Can you get screen snip of your modem connections page?

3. What firmware are you on? Newest changes quite frequently or people say they're on the latest and aren't. 

4. I wouldn't step back in firmware quite as far as you are. I'd probably go back to 1.0.4.28.  do it over a hardwired connection and reset afterwards. The newest version implemented Armor and some devices have had decreased performanc with the rollout. 

5. What wifi chipset is in your desktop that you're using?

Message 2 of 7
Joshuan
Aspirant

Thank you so much for responding to my post!  I really appreciate it.

1. I am using a Motorola MB8600

2. I added a pciture... Is that the right information that you wanted?  If not, let me know.  I will put up the new info as soon as you ask for it.

3. V1.0.4.46_10.1.63 

4.  My wireless card is a Realtek 8822BE Wireless LAN 802.11 ac PCI-E NIC

Let me know if you need ANYTHING else.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

I linked to what netgear's modem connections page looks like. Not sure what it'd look like on the motorola. Its shows the coax connections strengths to the modem.

In terms of the router firmware, the version you're on is the firmware that netgear updated their routers to netgear Armor. many devices had a degradation of speeds. Many were resolved with a factory reset and manual reinstall (not using a backup). If that doesn't work, downgrade the firmware to a version before Armor. Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to reset afterwards. 

You desktop wifi issues might be the card itself. If you look up that wifi card, its got a bunch of issues. Occasionally a firmware update from the manufacturer helps but many people just replace them. 

Message 4 of 7
Joshuan
Aspirant

Yeah, I clicked on literally every link on that routerlogin.net page, and I cannot for the life of me find the information you are requesting.  I don't think that the issue is the wifi card on my desktop because I have two separate laptops that behave the same way with the speed issue (the lag issue maybe).

Message 5 of 7
Joshuan
Aspirant

Just to let you know, I went to the older firmware, and I updated the driver on my network card.  I am not experiencing issue one; however, the download speed is still about 300 Mbps.  Additionally, I plugged my laptop directly into my laptop and fast.com showed that it was receiving a speed of 950 Mbps.  So, I am pretty sure that something is going on with the wireless signal.

-Josh

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Joshuan wrote:

-Josh

Not really. Wireless speeds aren't going to be as fast as wired. And a lot depends on the device you're using. If you're laptop/phone is a 1x1 or 2x2 antenna arrangement, its going to be slower. Plus it'll be significantly slower on 2.4ghz versus 5ghz. The realtek is a 2x2 and isn't that great of a card in the first place.

If you're pulling the full speeds from the router while wired, thats to be expected. Wireless isn't going to hit that currently. Even the newer AX routers connected to a wireless AX card *might* be able to max out gigabit. There's a lot more info at this site on wifi speeds, expectations, and cutting through all the marketing hype by router manufacturers: 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

the vast majority of the time the limiting factor to wireless (if you have a decent enough router) is the wireless device itself. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7