× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR300 VPN Drop Outs

ozkan87
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR300 VPN Drop Outs

I just purchased a new Nighthawk XR300 and my Cisco VPN anyconnect client keeps on dropping in and out when connecting on DTLS protocol. If my connection randomly connects on TLSv1.2 then the connection is stable. How do i know the router is the probelm, well because 2x of my netgear routers behave the same and when I use a cheaper branded modem it works fine. I also create a new network adaptor on my Win10 machine using PPPoE to connect to my ISP direct and the connection is stable completley bypassing everything.

Can Netgear please investigate as to why VPN connections would be dropping out. I did some reasearch on this community page and it looks like I am not the only one who is having issues with Cisco Anyconnect client dropping every 5-10 minutes while using a netgear router.

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk XR300 VPN Drop Outs

First try disabling QoS completely from the Anti-Bufferbloat menu. Also Disable SIP ALG in WAN Settings and untick Disable IGMP Proxying and see if that helps.
Message 2 of 10
ozkan87
Aspirant

Ok, so I did exactly that -

QoS - set to never
Disabled SIP ALG and unticked IGMP Proxying

It has made no difference....

I have attached a screenshot from the anyconnect client showing the protocol and cipher while connected on DTLS.

As stated this protocol and cipher works fine when bypassing my netgear routers, the only time the connection is stable is when this transport protocol on the VPN client would randomly negotiate at TLSv1.2 and a different cipher suite.

Its like the netgear rourters have instability on the DTLS protocol.

Message 3 of 10
ozkan87
Aspirant

Here are just some other examples from this page, and to me looks to be an ongoing issue with netgear routers... I am a little dissapointed as my previous netgear router had it for 6 years, thinking the problem would go away bu purchasing this XR300 today and still the same issues. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Nighthawk-AC-2600-blocking-DTLS-traffic/m-p/1285877

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Netgear-D6400-with-Cisco-Annyconnect-VPN-Losing-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Netgear-D6400-not-working-with-cisco-anyconnect-...

Can this please be escalated within Netgear and its engineers to investigate?

Message 4 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ah so it is a Netgear issue, I'd suggest creating a ticket with Netgear here: http://support.netgear.com/ then if you give us the ticket number we can try to escalate it from our side.
Message 5 of 10
ozkan87
Aspirant

I did raise a ticket however it came up with no number, i then went to my support tickets and says I got none raised.

I even attached the screenshot here.

Your email ticket has been successfully submitted

The reference number is , a representative will review your ticket and reply to you shortly.

We have sent a confirmation email to ozkan.m@*******. You will receive an email notification when our support representative replies to your query.

Note : You must login to my.netgear.com portal to view updates/send followup response to this case.

If you are a new customer, you will receive a password reset email to login to 

Your username is the same as your email address.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Message 6 of 10
ozkan87
Aspirant

I managed to get a ticket logged this time - here is the reference number

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you, I've let the relevant people know so hopefully that'll give it an extra nudge for you.
Message 8 of 10
ozkan87
Aspirant

So after countless weeks of ongoing issues with my XR300 nighhawk router, i decided to return it and get a refund.
I then purchased a new D-Link Smart AX1500 router and now its my 2nd day in and have had no VPN drop outs, Zoom calls dont say my internet quality is terrible anymore... its been fantastic.

Safe to say im glad i returned it after owning netgear routers for many years. My D6300 router also was causing VPN drop outs with Cisco any connect client using DTLS as a port. I highly recommend netgear investigate their routers because a lot of people use the Cisco any connect client... However, the older netgear D6300 did not have issues with Zoom calls only the XR300 Nighthawk router, even with QoS turned off and SIP etc... tried everything.

Im finally glad i no longer have problems.

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you returned the router but glad you no longer have the issue. We will be able to get that ironed out in 3.0 so I do hope you consider us again in the future when the router(s) may be more stable for you.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7