× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Phillips Hue Bridge RED LIGHT on XR500

NiwaStanley
Aspirant

Phillips Hue Bridge RED LIGHT on XR500

Hello, owner of the XR500 for 5 months now (Damn). I just bought Phillips hue bridge + bulbs from Prime Day (Weee $450~), I tried to connect the bridge to my phone but failed. I've read other posts that other people are having the same problem. But I have one difference so far that the Ethernet led turns red.

Another post with the same problem

1. Hue bridge connected by Ethernet to Port #2
  2. Ethernet LED indicator = RED
  3. Phillips Bridge has all 3 solid blue led
  4. Tried setting up Hue with Phone
  5. Spamming "Press to pair" but nothing registers, tried restoring to fac. setting, turning off and on did not work
  6. Using the work around that was mentioned in another post, booting up my old tp-link router and connected the hue on it and it works ;l

My router is on Router mode using PPoE for Centurylink. Latest firmware. Port forward 3000 with statc ip did not work. 

Apparently this has been a problem for a year and starting to regret buying the XR500 due to a problem with a webserver proxy (separate problem and had to do another work around) and now problem with Phillips Hue Bridge ;l

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Phillips Hue Bridge RED LIGHT on XR500

Be sure the LAN cable is of good working quality between the router and this HUE device. CAT6 is recommeded. 

Review the XR routers user manual for LED color indication behaviors. 

IS the LED RED or more Amber, a dark orange color? 

Message 2 of 15
-Donovan-
Luminary

NiwaStanley,I had this issue in the past too. Until Netgear and Netduma release a new firmware for the XR500, to solve my problem temporary I had connected a second router in AP mode to my XR500. Then, the Philips Hue Bridge v2.0 will be connected on the second router and you should be able to run your lights without any problems. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have another router you could try to have it handle PPPoE and then connect the XR500 to it and try it then? Are you able to try and connect/pair with it from another wired device?

Could you also try setting a guest wifi network on the router and try it using that please?
Message 4 of 15
-Donovan-
Luminary

You can not configure the Phillips Hue Bridge v2.0 in wifi.

The Phillips Hue Bridge v2.0 can only be connected using an Ethernet cable from the unit to the Ethernet port of your router. 

Message 5 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's a bit confusing then as the OP mentioned phone failing to connect to it. Either way if you can connect a device to the same connection method that the bridge is connected to the router by that may work.
Message 6 of 15
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I recall somebody saying that you can't configure it over wifi unless you connect your phone to the guest network.

Message 7 of 15
NiwaStanley
Aspirant

According to the manual:

Solid amber. The router detected a 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps link with a powered-ondevice.

Message 8 of 15
NiwaStanley
Aspirant

So in my phone, it detects the bridge but when it's asking me to press the bridge button to connect to my phone, it doesn't connect and times out. It connects after I connect a separate router to the XR500 and the bridge to the router. 

Guest wifi did not work and I even tried having only 2.4ghz on.

I do not have another PPoE featured router/modem to try it on.

Message 9 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Completely disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat options and see if that works please.
Message 10 of 15
-Donovan-
Luminary

@NiwaStanley wrote:

According to the manual:

Solid amber. The router detected a 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps link with a powered-ondevice.

It's normal and I have the same LED amber color on my XR700 because it's a 10/100 ethernet port on Philips Hue Bridge v2.0.

Message 11 of 15
-Donovan-
Luminary

@NiwaStanley wrote:

So in my phone, it detects the bridge but when it's asking me to press the bridge button to connect to my phone, it doesn't connect and times out. It connects after I connect a separate router to the XR500 and the bridge to the router. 

Yup that's what I had to do when I had the XR500 and I didn't expect to get the same issue on the XR700 with the current public firmware.

@NiwaStanley wrote:

Guest wifi did not work and I even tried having only 2.4ghz on.

Philips Hue App (iOS/Android) or the Philips Hue Sync (Windows 10) won't work if you use the normal/Guest Wifi. You will have to go with my suggestion above with a second router until they update the firmware on their XR-series.

Message 12 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried disabling QoS fully donovan?
Message 13 of 15
-Donovan-
Luminary

Yes, it makes no difference.

Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's not ideal and you would lose the features but I wonder, it might work in AP mode. That might be something to consider while it is being looked into.
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7