× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Plugging XR500 into surge protector

droesw
Guide

Plugging XR500 into surge protector

I was chatting with someone online that claims to be an internet expert, getting tips to help my connection, and they told me that both my router and modem should be plugged directly into the wall instead of a surge protector? Is this true, cause it seems unlikely for this to really make a difference with the router or modems performance, and really risky considering the possibility of the devices getting damaged during a thunderstorm or any other electrical problems that could happen in the house?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Plugging XR500 into surge protector

Please avoid this kind of information. If a good quality power strip issued, they can help protect agaist storm brown outs and surges. There is no reason why you should not be using on. The best way to protect your modem and possibly help keep them on line during a brown out, would be to use a batter backup (UPS) system. This would give you a small amount of time to keep internet services running during the brown out should it be a short outage. Any longer you would need to ensure that all your UPS connected devices would be powered down before the UPS ran out of batter power. UPS also helps with surge protection as well. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please avoid this kind of information. If a good quality power strip issued, they can help protect agaist storm brown outs and surges. There is no reason why you should not be using on. The best way to protect your modem and possibly help keep them on line during a brown out, would be to use a batter backup (UPS) system. This would give you a small amount of time to keep internet services running during the brown out should it be a short outage. Any longer you would need to ensure that all your UPS connected devices would be powered down before the UPS ran out of batter power. UPS also helps with surge protection as well. 

Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only time I would say having it plugged into an extender would be an issue is if you have multiple devices plugged into that same extender. It can cause the router to not get the correct voltage sometimes which can cause an issue. I've seen it in the past and plugging directly into a wall outlet resolves it. As long as you don't overload the extender then that would be ideal.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7