× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding not work

johngabraham
Aspirant

Port forwarding not work

I have been trying for 2 days to figure out why my port forwarding isn't working. I've port forwarded many times before on previous routers but this one will not comply, unless I'm overlooking something. 

I'm trying to forward ports for a Mordhau dedicated server and, with the dedicated server running (which is working fine because I can connect to it on the same machine), I test the ports on yougetsignal.com and it says the ports are closed. I've confirmed with the server log that it's running on the same external IP as yougetsignal is picking up and on port 7777 but still not response. I've reserved my local IP address in the router and confirmed that it's the correct address via Windows CMD ipconfig. 

Am I missing something here? Would appreciate any help. 

Below are screenshots of my settings and local IP. 

https://imgur.com/BRQbEeA

https://imgur.com/528zfEK

https://imgur.com/VGXLSIV

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Port forwarding not work

What is your physical setup? e.g. ISP hub> XR500? Is your ISP hub in modem mode or do you have the XR500 in it's DMZ? Do you have a link showing what ports need to be opened for the game?
Message 2 of 13
johngabraham
Aspirant

I have a Netgear CM1200 modem with my XR500 connected directly to it. I'm not sure what an ISP hub is but the internet comes directly from the street into my own modem. I also don't know what DMZ is so I haven't touched any settings pertaining to it. 

The ports I need to forward are 7777, 27015 (UDP) and 15000, according to this post. I forwarded all of them using TCP and UDP just to be safe. 

Message 3 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thanks for the information. First I'd check that this will work by putting the PC IP in the DMZ option in WAN Settings, then double check that site and see if it works. If it does then the port forward entries have been done incorrectly and we can figure out why that is.
Message 4 of 13
johngabraham
Aspirant

Ok I set my "Default DMZ Server" to my PC then checked the ports with the open port checker tool and it reports they're still closed. Is that what you meant for me to do? 

Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that's right. Remove the port forwarding rules you've done as well and then try it again.
Message 6 of 13
johngabraham
Aspirant

Removed all port forwarding rules and still no dice. 

Message 7 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Before start running wild - check the Netgear router Internet/WAN IP address as seen on the router Web UI assigned by the ISP with the Google what is my IP address result. If this is not the same, CGN is in place. Almost all port forwarding issues are related to the lack of public IPv4 addresses and the usage of carrier grade NAT (CGN) by the ISPs.

Message 8 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Some good advice above, seems like that could a cause as DMZ should have worked with Modem > router > PC.
Message 9 of 13
johngabraham
Aspirant

According to DumaOS my WAN IP is identical to the one that Google reports. 

Message 10 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In that case I would contact your ISP and see if they are blocking any ports on your connection. They may do so for your security but if you're using the router then it has its own Firewall.
Message 11 of 13
johngabraham
Aspirant

Ok I think I've determined it's actually an issue with the Mordhau Dedicated Server software. When I run a Minecraft server on 25565 the port is reported as open on the port check tool, but when I run the Mordhau server neither 7777 nor 15000 report as open despite the fact that the server log reads "GamePort: 7777, BeaconPort: 15000". Not sure what to do from here but at least it's not a router issue. 

Thanks for the assistance anyway! 

Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If Mordhau have a forum look there or perhaps on the Steam community and they may be able to help. Thanks for letting us know and good luck!
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7