× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7500 and XR500 Comcast setup??

ElVapo
Aspirant

R7500 and XR500 Comcast setup??

With a R7500 modem/router and a XR500 router what is the best way to connect them so they’re on the same subnet?  Would the XR500 be an AP?  Is it possible to create a bridge?  Do the routers need a hardline or wireless connection?

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

> With a R7500 modem/router and a XR500 router what is the best way to
> connect them so they're on the same subnet?

An R7500 (or R<anything>, for that matter) is a router, not a
modem+router.  "Comcast" suggests that there's a cable modem (or
modem+router) of some kind involved somewhere.  A complete, accurate,
detailed equipment inventory might be a good first step.  Is your
"R7500" a plain/"v1" or a "v2" hardware version?  Look at the product
label.

One way would be to configure all but one of your routers as wireless
access points.  For example, visit http://netgear.com/support , put in
your actual "R7500"(-like) model number, and look for Documentation.
Get the User Manual.  Look for something like "Use the Router as a
Wireless Access Point".

> [...] Would the XR500 be an AP?

It could be.  Or the R7500 could be.  If you also have some other
router, then both the XR500 and R7500 could be.

> [...] Is it possible to create a bridge?

I don't know what that means in this context.  What, exactly, would
"a bridge" be doing for you?

> [...] Do the routers need a hardline or wireless connection?

As the picture in the manual shows, a wireless access point normally
uses a cable connection to the main router.  But other modes of
operation exist, too.  For example, look for "Use the Router in Bridge
Mode" in the R7500 manual.

Message 2 of 6
ElVapo
Aspirant

Thanks for responding. My modem/router is Nighthawk X4 Cable Modem Router AC3200 and I have a XR500 Gaming Router.  

I have Comcast cable for the Internet. 

I saw the article on bridging the R7500 with another R7500 but not how to create a wireless bridge between the R7500 and the XR500.  I was hoping for some insight into the specific differences because the UI is different in the XR500.

Running a cable between the routers is an option but I’d like to run wirelessly in bridge mode on the XR500 if it’s possible.

I'm looking for the simplest solution that provides me wired acces points with Wi-Fi at both routers.  I’d like both routers to be on the same subnet.  

Any suggestions about how to connect and configure the devices is appreciated. 

Message 3 of 6

Your message says Nighthawk X4 Cable Modem Router AC3200, which is a wifi speed indicator rather then a Netgear model number. Your footer says R7500.

My guess is that you really mean C7800. That seems to be the only cable modem that does AC3200.

Using something like the very expensive XR500 (really an R7800 on steroids) in access point mode is likely to throw away much of its function:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

So using the C7800 in bridge (modem only) mode may be more sensible.

There is a manual for the C7800 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Unlike many devices, the manual for the C7800 does not have a section on how to use it in modem-only mode. Nor even any mention of bridge mode. It may be simply a case of disabling the DHCP server on the modem/router.

Unless someone else steps in, you may have to do some research.

Message 4 of 6
ElVapo
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Your message says Nighthawk X4 Cable Modem Router AC3200, which is a wifi speed indicator rather then a Netgear model number. Your footer says R7500. (My exact model Modem/Router isn't listed so I chose something close in the footer area.  I didn't mean to cause confusion over the model number.)

My guess is that you really mean C7800. That seems to be the only cable modem that does AC3200. (It's a C7500.)

Using something like the very expensive XR500 (really an R7800 on steroids) in access point mode is likely to throw away much of its function:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

So using the C7800 in bridge (modem only) mode may be more sensible. (I was thinking the same thing.  BTW: my cost for the hardware isn't really an issue since I received these products as "gifts".  I wrote my original post before hooking the C7500 up to Comcast.  Now that it's hooked up, I simply set the XR500 to have a static IP 192.168.0.99 and enabled AP mode.  That works fine but I need to connect a cable between the C7500 and the XR500.)

There is a manual for the C7800 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Unlike many devices, the manual for the C7800 does not have a section on how to use it in modem-only mode. Nor even any mention of bridge mode. It may be simply a case of disabling the DHCP server on the modem/router. (Yes, this is good advice.  I added in a Motorola MG7550 as an AP using this technique.  Again, I set a static IP 192.168.0.100 and disabled DHCP.  Once again, I needed a cable between the C7500 and the MG7550 to make it work.)

Unless someone else steps in, you may have to do some research. (I appreciate the response.  I'm guessing that if I want to connect the C7500 to the XR500 wirelessly, it would need to be bridged.  I'm unclear how to setup the XR500 as a bridged router and I haven't found any documentation on how to do that yet.)

My setup: Netgear C7500 connected to cable, Netgear XR500 cabled to the C7500 and set as an AP; and, Motorola MG7550 cabled to the C7500 and set as an AP.

Message 5 of 6

Excellent. Glad the thing worked out.

Add anything else you think that might help others to follow your example. The XR500 is a new router with not much history and messages for people to go on.

Not everyone is as familiar with these things as you seem to be.

The XR500 may be much like the R7800, but the DumaOS refinement makes it a very different creature. Something for the gamers, which is why I ditched it after the beta tests.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7