× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Teredo ip address/NAT type unavailable xr500

ndg317
Aspirant

Teredo ip address/NAT type unavailable xr500

When I use strictly wifi, my Xbox One X, after awhile of game play, keeps telling me that my NAT type is unavailable and then the teredo ip address pops up. What I've read from xbox support is that my ip address and the WAN address don't match on my xr500. My WAN address is supposed to be public and it's set to private. Can I switch my WAN to what it says on the "what is my ip address" site? Or how to I make my ip address public? I have a gig download speed and play hardwired, but I get a better connection to the Call Of Duty servers using wifi. Thank you!
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Teredo ip address/NAT type unavailable xr500

Under Settings > Advanced Settings > IPv6 on your router, what is IPv6 set to? I think this might be an issue with IPv6.

Message 2 of 16
ndg317
Aspirant

IPv6 is turned off. I had it on when I first setup my router, but I read somewhere that having IPv6(I believe I had it set to auto detect) was giving me the teredo issues.
Message 3 of 16
ndg317
Aspirant

Also, teredo ip address or NAT type unavailable has haunted me every since I bought my xr500. During my initial setup, in geo-filter, I added my Xbox One X, but after gaming for awhile teredo ip address popped up. I realized that, in geo-filter, I had to click "spectating mode" opposed to the default "filtering mode" for concoles.
Message 4 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That means the Geo-Filter was blocking the server that checks the NAT status but that shouldn't actually affect your connection at all. When you get the message does it stop you playing or prevent you connecting to people etc or is it just a message?
Message 5 of 16
ndg317
Aspirant

It’s actually all of the above. I know when I get the teredo message because I get kicked out of my party. I then test my NAT type and it says unavailable and refers to teredo ip address. Or my party and game starts lagging then I get kick out the party and game. Match making is non existent and my NAT type becomes strict
Message 6 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that is interesting. Could you give the console a static/reserved IP in Settings > LAN Setup and then put that same IP in the DMZ in WAN Setup and see if that resolves it please.
Message 7 of 16
ndg317
Aspirant

Yes, I will try. I apologize in advance if it takes me awhile to message back, I’m currently at work, but I’ll try as soon as I get home. Do you think it has anything to do with my IP address and my WAN not matching up?
Message 8 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Unlikely. The router would only show the public WAN IP address as it's own IP address if you're connected directly to a modem. If you're connected to a router then the router would be giving the XR500 a WAN IP. Let us know how you get on.
Message 9 of 16
ndg317
Aspirant

I have a Netgear - 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem that connects to my xr500 via cat6 Ethernet cable and another cat6 Ethernet cable running to my Xbox One X
Message 10 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So what does the XR500 show for the WAN IP in System Information?
Message 11 of 16
ndg317
Aspirant

It shows my up address!
Message 12 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's fine then as they do match. I think the DMZ will resolve the issue.
Message 13 of 16
ndg317
Aspirant

Meaning setting a static IP address?
Message 14 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes use the same IP address that you used for the reservation/static IP and put that into the DMZ.
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model of this modem? CM? C####?

DMZ won't be need and shouldn't be needed if you have uPnP enabled on the XR router. No Port forwarding needed either. 

Wired xbox and set up a IP address reservation for the Xbox ON the  XR router is only needed. Set the networking settings ON the xbox for automatic networking. No static IP addresses here. If you don't have native IPv6 from your ISP, then set this to disable or Local Only on the XR router. 

Hold the Power button on the xbox until it shuts off. This clears out any networking cachess on the xbox. After setting up the XR router, reboot the router and let it come to ready. Then power ON the xbox console and NAT should be OPEN. 

@ndg317 wrote:
I have a Netgear - 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem that connects to my xr500 via cat6 Ethernet cable and another cat6 Ethernet cable running to my Xbox One X

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7