× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade from xr500 to xr1000 PS5 Console issues

niewiado
Apprentice

Upgrade from xr500 to xr1000 PS5 Console issues

Hello all. I’ve been using my xr500 for a while with no issues (finally), but the resets have been becoming more necessary recently to keep it connected to the internet so I upgraded to the xr1000.
This has been fraught with problems. I used the exact same channels as before but just about every hot connects at a slower bandwidth. The really strange ones are the iPhones which would always connect to 5ghz with smart connect on before but now just stay on 2ghz even though they’re physically close to the router. My LG tvs internal app to YouTube struggled a bit as well.
However the possible deal breaker to return this thing is my ps5. It consistently gave me a “possible security error” when trying to connect. I changed the security to a different setting and it worked for a brief time but restarting the ps5 always drops it off the network. If I put the ps5 in automatic band mode (instead of 5ghz) it connects fine but this was never ever an issue with the xr500.
Any ideas what’s going on here? Since the xr500 was not broken but only slightly showing some signs of age I will have no problem going back to it as it current has far superior performance for me over the xr1000.
Thanks for any help…

Message 1 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgrade from xr500 to xr1000 issues

If your noticing similar problems across two different model routers, possible you have a mis configuration or environment problem. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

How do you have Wireless settings under Basic and Advanced configured? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

I'm using channel 1 and 40 with AX, OFDMA, Beamforming and MIMO all enabled. 40Mhz coexistence only on 2.4Ghz on my 1000. 

Message 2 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Change the 5GHz mode down to 2400Mbps instead, then reboot, wait 2 minutes and see if it is any better please
Message 3 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

It updated to the latest .64 on the xr1000 when I installed it. The xr500 hasn’t had a firmware update in a while but it’s the latest as well.
I had all my settings the same as you below but I also tried disabled ax features. I left the xr1000 in auto mode (and lowered the 5ghz bandwidth to enable that) but I routinely use a network analyzers and funnily enough it picked the exact same channels I had for the xr500, namely 36 for 5 ghz which is the problem channel.
I just reinstalled the xr500 with the same channel and all my previously mentioned problems went away. iPhones connect to 5ghz with over 500 Mbps down (I get around 780 at the modem) and the ps5 connects immediately and has around 400 Mbps down from its internal test.
Also- I’m using the same netgear cm600 modem I’ve always had with my Comcast cable IP in the states.
Thanks
Message 4 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

This is what I get on my iphone with the XR1000:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/New-XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-64-R...

Using channels 1 and 40. 

Router was factory reset and setup from scratch after I applied v.64 FW. 

Mines connected to a CAX80 on a 1Gb/50Mbps ISP line. 

Message 5 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Hi Fraser- this seemed to do the trick. Funny how that’s the one speed regime for 5ghz I did not try. Although the ps5 bandwidth is still a bit slower than the xr500 (~100mbps vs ~300) it at least connects automatically now.
Any other ideas as to why that may be?
Message 6 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Glad to hear it! Do the 1000 QoS settings mirror the 500?
Message 7 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Well I’m able to run the auto optimize QoS settings feature now so the percentages are way different than what the xr500 had. I have a very asymmetric IP connection at 800mbps down 25 up so I had 60% for dl and ul before but now it’s 50&99 respectively. But I still have it on auto detect QoS and share throughput on the traffic allocation feature, so the specific amount the console is set to shouldn’t matter unless my network bandwidth is saturated I would think. Am I missing something?
Message 8 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Congestion Control will affect your speeds through the speed test so if you set your bandwidth then adjust manually you should be able to get the speeds up again but you don't need that much speed for gaming
Message 9 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Hi Fraser- the same ps5 issue came back this morning. I still have it set to 2400 Mbps on the 5ghz channel. The ps5 itself says “the security method might not be correct”. Is there an other setting that needs to be changed or turned off completely? If memory serves the ps5 was supposed to support WiFi 6 so this is quite disheartening. Thanks for any help
Message 10 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Nothing else that affects the speed really on that page- have you changed any options in Advanced WiFi settings?

Have you changed the security it uses?
Message 11 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

It was always wpa2. I just changed it to wpa+wpa2 and it connected but then I restarted the ps5 since that’s the key problem, it going into sleep mode or restarting and not connecting, and sure enough it would not connect to my network. I have ax features disabled as well which seemed to possibly help earlier but I’m starting to doubt that actually helped.
Message 12 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is this with Smart Connect still enabled or disabled?
Message 13 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Smart connect was always enabled. It works well with the xr500 and I’ve come to rely on it with all the other devices we have in the house.
Message 14 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What WiFi speeds do you get on other devices with the same configuration?
Message 15 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

iPhones typically get 400-550 Mbps depending on where they are in the house. They never seem to need to downgrade to 2.4ghz. 2017 Lg tv doesn’t seem to be able to bind channels so YouTube usually connects at around 100 Mbps. Xbox and ps5 usually get 200-350 Mbps, sometimes more. These are all speeds from the xr500, which I’ve switched back to for the time being.
Message 16 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using Armor at all? That is one of the big differences between the two models and Armor has caused some issues in the past.
Message 17 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

I didn’t turn anything off so I think it is enabled yes. I didn’t see anywhere to turn it off.
Message 18 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You'll need to use the Nighthawk app on your mobile and then you can turn it off from there
Message 19 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Hi Fraser, I finally got a chance to disable armor and it didn’t really help the ps5 connection. It still does not want to connect with the same possible security setting warning. I’m pretty close to returning the xr1000. Any last ideas?
Message 20 of 55
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Could you please go to Settings -> Setup -> LAN Setup and try reserving an IP address for the PS5. Ideally, give it an address that's outside of the DHCP range, you can see what this is a bit further up in the page.

After that, see if it can maintain a connection after a reboot.

Message 21 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the PS console connect ok using a ethernet connection to the XR1000? 

Possible that the PS console wifi device could be faulty. I've seen some consoles not have good wifi devices or connect or operate well over there wifi adapters. 

Message 22 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

I haven’t tried that, but besides not really being a long term option, the xr500 connects to the ps5 flawlessly with an almost constant 100% signal strength (it’s directly above the console).
This applies to the static IP suggestion as well- the xr500 didn’t need this but I can try it.
Message 23 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Change NAT to Open in WAN Settings and then re-test as well please and see if there is a difference
Message 24 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

And you set XR1000 wifi settings to same as XR500? 
Disable AX mode on the 1000 router as well? 

@niewiado wrote:
I haven’t tried that, but besides not really being a long term option, the xr500 connects to the ps5 flawlessly with an almost constant 100% signal strength (it’s directly above the console).
This applies to the static IP suggestion as well- the xr500 didn’t need this but I can try it.

Message 25 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 54 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7