× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What exactly does traffic prioritization do?

droesw
Guide

What exactly does traffic prioritization do?

In the QoS page I notice that under Traffic Prioritization it has All Devices and DumaOS Classified Games enabled by default, but what exactly is this setting do? Does having this turned on or changing the setting in it at all affect latency for gaming, or does this just affect speed. I'm just looking for the best settings to ensure the lowest latency possible. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: What exactly does traffic prioritization do?

With that setting enabled Traffic Prioritization will automatically detect and prioritize game traffic. It puts your game packets ahead of the network queue in order to minimise jitter/ping spikes that would be otherwise caused by your other devices. It isn't a setting for speeds it's purely to help improve your ping when gaming and keep the connection as stable as possible so I would recommend you leave this enabled.
Message 2 of 6
droesw
Guide

I have 3 other roommates who also play on xbox one. Is there any way I could modify the settings so that I can even get the prioritization over them to make sure my ping is always the lowest instead of them getting the same prioritization?

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There is no way to set a priority list within the feature but you could disable DumaOS Classified Games and then add your console with the games console service. That would prioritize your console but not theirs.
Message 4 of 6
droesw
Guide

Like this? (I attached a screenshot)   Also do the percentage sliders for download and upload affect latency/ping prioritization at all or does that just affect upload and download speeds?

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes exactly like that. Yes it can do, if you've got local congestion or even if a device randomly starts downloading something that can cause lag/your ping to rise so by utilizing that feature you can prevent that and keep your ping as low and stable as possible.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7