× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR300 - Slow PS4 speeds

iAmazing
Tutor

XR300 - Slow PS4 speeds

I got my new XR300 yestarday, after setup i was doing some tests and i found that my PS4 download and uploads speeds got slower...

With my default smart router from my ISP i usually got 200 to 300mbps download speed and 80 to 100mbps upload speed.

With XR300 my speed went to 40 to 90mbps download speed and 50 to 70mbps upload speed.

I dont have any fancy customization, i tested with no other devices connected, i always use cable, i already DMZ my PS4 and Port foward the PSN ports with no sucess and i open the NAT Filtering too.

Can someone please help me? Because i payed alot for this router and i feel that was a bad choice 😕

Thanks!

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: XR300 - Slow PS4 speeds

Are you still using your ISP's modem router? or what modem are you connecting to now? 

have you went in and changed your QoS settins on the XR300 to refect your speeds? it runs initially but if it didn't get the fully speeds, then it'll be set lower. 

Message 2 of 9
iAmazing
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

Are you still using your ISP's modem router? or what modem are you connecting to now? 

have you went in and changed your QoS settins on the XR300 to refect your speeds? it runs initially but if it didn't get the fully speeds, then it'll be set lower. 

Yes i still have my ISP router on because it needs to be on so the modem can send Internet(thats is what the ISP tech guys said) so i put it in Bridge mode and connect the XR300.

If i put my ps4 connected to my ISP router right now that is bridge the speeds go to normal, i change to XR300 and get slower.

Yes i customize QoS, and put my PS4 to 100%.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Yes i still have my ISP router on because it needs to be on so the modem can send Internet(thats is what the ISP tech guys said) so i put it in Bridge mode and connect the XR300.----not all bridge modes work properly. What model do you have? 

If i put my ps4 connected to my ISP router right now that is bridge the speeds go to normal, i change to XR300 and get slower.

Yes i customize QoS, and put my PS4 to 100%.-----if you can connect your ps4 and the router at the same time, it isn't functioning in bridge mode properly. 

Message 4 of 9
iAmazing
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

Yes i still have my ISP router on because it needs to be on so the modem can send Internet(thats is what the ISP tech guys said) so i put it in Bridge mode and connect the XR300.----not all bridge modes work properly. What model do you have? 

Yes i customize QoS, and put my PS4 to 100%.-----if you can connect your ps4 and the router at the same time, it isn't functioning in bridge mode properly. 

I have a Technicolor tg789vac v2 that i put in bridge mode and that gives TV to the TV BOX.

How should bridge mode work properly?

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

In bridge mode/ modem only mode, it should only supply 1 public ip address. if you can hook more than 1 device to it, it usually means its doing some routing*. (unless your isp allows multiple public ip addresses, most dont)

You can try the XR300 in AP mode with bridge mode disabled and see how it runs. downside is you lose the benefits of the XR300 with its qos/gaming features. If everything works as it should, it means your ISP's gateway is causing the issues. 

Message 6 of 9
iAmazing
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

In bridge mode/ modem only mode, it should only supply 1 public ip address. if you can hook more than 1 device to it, it usually means its doing some routing*. (unless your isp allows multiple public ip addresses, most dont)

You can try the XR300 in AP mode with bridge mode disabled and see how it runs. downside is you lose the benefits of the XR300 with its qos/gaming features. If everything works as it should, it means your ISP's gateway is causing the issues. 

Okay, i understand! AP mode doesnt work for me because all my gaming rig is via cable, so i will try do Bridge mode again the last time when i try i think my default ISP router got stuck and i had to "force reboot" so maybe the bridge mode was working but not 100%? Shoulde the bridge mode allows TV BOX or bridge mode only allows the conenction with another router?

By the way why is my Default Gateway a public address? In my default router my default Gateway is the last ip(192.168.1.254) with NETGEAR its a public address(176.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) i dont understand why?

(i m a still bit noob with networking, still learning)

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please follow this guide for speeds: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-m... also test the speeds using a wired PC and see what you get.
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Okay, i understand! AP mode doesnt work for me because all my gaming rig is via cable, ----cable setup will still work in AP mode. so i will try do Bridge mode again the last time when i try i think my default ISP router got stuck and i had to "force reboot" so maybe the bridge mode was working but not 100%? Shoulde the bridge mode allows TV BOX or bridge mode only allows the conenction with another router?---not sure. you'd have to ask your ISP. 

By the way why is my Default Gateway a public address? In my default router my default Gateway is the last ip(192.168.1.254) with NETGEAR its a public address(176.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) i dont understand why? Again- not sure because I'm not sure how your gateway is handling bridge mode or if it allows mutliple public ip addresses. 

(i m a still bit noob with networking, still learning)

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7