× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR300 trying to bridge a tplink w9970

JAMSROO7
Guide

XR300 trying to bridge a tplink w9970

Hello I’m trying to bridge a tplink w9970 with a XR300 Gaming router, but when I try to access the netgear menu it just keeps spinning the loading logo any tips please thx.

Message 1 of 44
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR300 trying to bridge a tplink w9970

So you're trying to use the tplink w9970 as the modem for the XR300?

Are you able to get an internet connection? When you access the interface, are you connected directly to the XR300 from your computer?

Message 2 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with the modems Mfr and ask them for help and information on there modem and configurations needed:

https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

@JAMSROO7 wrote:

Hello I’m trying to bridge a tplink w9970 with a XR300 Gaming router, but when I try to access the netgear menu it just keeps spinning the loading logo any tips please thx.

Message 3 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

That’s it mate I’m trying to use the tp link as a bridge for the gaming router. So far I have got the PS4 with a nat type1 tthrough netgear which is great, and managed the wireless to work, so technically i’ve Solved the issue, but when I try to access the the router settings I have no chance, and the whole point in buying this router is to tweak the settings so I can get the most optimum performance online gaming, I have tried everything, keep getting the same message even going through the app. It’s something to do with me getting the message that my IP address is going to change, think it’s conflicting something, but doesn’t make sence I’m getting the router to work through ps4 and iPad, I’m using iPad to set up router could that be the issue thx.

Message 4 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Thx bro i’ll Try that.

Message 5 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully they have a user manual for there product. 

Message 6 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Thx m8 i’ll Go down the tplink route, one thing when I first tried to set up the router it asked me 2 security question’s which I ga e answers to but when I try to put the answers in it said wrong answers, now I can’t even find that option, sorry if I’m being vague, it should be such an easy thing to do I just can’t see why I can’t acsess the router settings even though I can get on the routers network with ps4 and iPad.

Message 7 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser? Might try a reset and setup from scratch. Use a wired PC and web browser to walk thru the setup wizard. Be sure to write down all important information for safe keeping. 

Message 8 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

That’s the thing bro i’ve Only goy ps4, and I pad to work with. So you think if I use tp link as a bridge and have wired connection To rx300 through laptop or pc I could get it to work. 

Message 9 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with TPLink. Check the user manual for there product. 

Message 10 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Thx for all your suggestions guy’s I finally got the ap to acknowledge the network, but I know now I need a pc to be able to tweak stuff like QOS and get the best settings for PS4 online, I tried using the router through ps4 wired it cut out twice in an hour but it said I have Nat type 1 in your opinion  using the tplink w9970 as a bridge do you think I can get a decent ping, thx.

Message 11 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Having any data traverse wireless or wireless bridge will add to ping and quality of the data flow as there is processing of the data between the AP and wireless bridge so this may add to pings and such. Wired connections will always be better in this area. Not much you can do with wireless connections. 

If your wired connectiong is cutting out, ensure your using too quality CAT6 cables. Set an IP address reservation for the PS on the router. 

Message 12 of 44
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Sounds like you might need to set up a static route on the AP so that connections to the XR300's IP are successfully forwarded.

Message 13 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

i’ll have to grab a laptop next few days and have a go bro,I have the 2 router’s next to each other with Ethernet cable the TP link in bridge mode not wireless, the only reason I have this set-up is because my isp is vdsl talk talk and this is the only way I can get the rx300 to work, I know it’s not one size fits all but once I get laptop any advice on the best setup to get the lowest ping wired ps4, I only really play 1 game pes2020 I tried opening ports got a more stable signal, but was slower.

Message 14 of 44
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

It's really weird that putting it into bridge mode would cause these problems. I can totally see why you've got the AP now, makes sense.

So the XR300 won't work with your VDSL connection out of the box? That's something I could use more information on so that we can sort it out.

Message 15 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@JAMSROO7 wrote:

i’ll have to grab a laptop next few days and have a go bro,I have the 2 router’s next to each other with Ethernet cable the TP link in bridge mode not wireless, the only reason I have this set-up is because my isp is vdsl talk talk and this is the only way I can get the rx300 to work, I know it’s not one size fits all but once I get laptop any advice on the best setup to get the lowest ping wired ps4, I only really play 1 game pes2020 I tried opening ports got a more stable signal, but was slower.

Message 16 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Bro thank you i’ll Contact tp link to get me started.

Message 17 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Hi Alex, yea I have talk talk internet and the Rx300 has no vdsl port, I bought it from eBay thinking it would be a quick fix for a much better gaming experience, but I can’t even see the setup menu as I have no pc or laptop. The thing is I may be able to grab a laptop for a day or so but with the Dumas and qos is it something I have to play around with to get the best results. What’s your advice to a complete novice to try get the best ping, so far I know how to put tp link in bridge mode and I have opened ports before and created a static ip, but never used a netgear router before any help much appreciated.

Message 18 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend you check out our handy guides here for the optimal setup: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
Message 19 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Thank you Fraser.

Message 20 of 44
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

@JAMSROO7 wrote:

Hi Alex, yea I have talk talk internet and the Rx300 has no vdsl port

Oh yeah you'll need a modem. The XR300 isn't a modem.

Message 21 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Do you think trying to bridge the w9970 tplink and the Rox will increase ping, would I be better off trying to get the model no. With a modem as I’m in the k with talk talk internet and if so what’s the best netgear model to get for my needs, thx Alex.

Message 22 of 44
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Either bridging your existing router/modem, or using DMZ to connect all of the downstream stuff. Both of those solutions would work fine.

If you wanted a VDSL Netgear router, this would fit the bill: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/DM200.aspx

It doesn't need to be a Netgear modem though.

Message 23 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Alex mate I have laptop now, if I can’t get bridge mode to work can I try ap mode to link the w9970 and the rx300 any tips massively appreciated, laptop doesn’t have Ethernet port so I’m trying with 2 routers linked Ethernet cable, thx pal, just info on op addresses and dns.

Message 24 of 44
JAMSROO7
Guide

Just had a 25minute live chat with tp link, at the end they said they cant do anything for me as there not familiar with the netgear router loool grrr. All I need to do is put the tplink in bridge mode and try use the nighthawk, which when I follow the right guidelines isn’t letting me acsess the nighthawk network,tried everything bro. 

Message 25 of 44
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7