× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 - 250mbs - is speedtesting at 100mbs? why?

mitchb101
Aspirant

XR500 - 250mbs - is speedtesting at 100mbs? why?

Hi Guys,
I Own an XR500 nighthawk router. updated with latest firmware.

I've recently been having 100mbs/40 with my isp. No issues.
Upgraded to the 250mbs/100, and the weird thing is isp is saying its all good and nbn are saying its all good.
I run the setup with my router (as it determines speeds) and it detects the 250mbs

HOWEVER- i then pull open a speedtest browser and the test starts at around 130mbs and slowly falls to approx 105mbs.
I can't help thinking the router is playing up with speeds? as when i bypass the router I get 250mbs.

Someone please help

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Re: XR500 - 250mbs - is speedtesting at 100mbs? why?

have you tried either factory resetting the XR500 or running through the setup process again? Or, have you gone to QOS and manually inputted your expected bandwidth?

Message 2 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Mitch  - could you try Big Dog's suggestions. I would ultimately recommend a factory reset just to start everything over again.

Also just double check if you're connecting via a wired Ethernet you're using CAT 5e cable or Cat6 cable - if you are on a CAT5 cable it is limited to 100mbps. The simplest way to check this is look at the LED lights on the router. If it's flashing orange on any of the port LEDs then it's limited to 100mbps.

Message 3 of 8
mitchb101
Aspirant

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the help.
I'm definitely using cat5e cable. (Checked lights and all cables)
I didnt manually enter the speed. It was done through running the setup again.

After posting here. My ISP had a ticket lodged with nbn and they left a message saying it was fixed / however stated that they did nothing and its working fine.

I powercycled both the modem and router...

And it appears to be 230mbs speed. When connected by ethernet. However if i have it connected via wifi it is still around 110mbs.
^laptop 110
^samsung s8 about 160mbs.

Is this drop off in speed normal? / if 230-250mbs is coming through router... shouldnt wifi still boast the same?

Laptop is a brand new dell g7. I would of thought this would perform better than an s8 as well...
Is there some sort of windows 10 limiting functions on a network.. or some sort of setting in router?

I have also tried disabling qos.... no difference.
Qos is enabled again.

Any thoughts?
Message 4 of 8
mitchb101
Aspirant

*added info.

I reset the modem under administration. But did not do factory reset... if thats different?
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you connecting to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz when your speed testing. We have found a problem with the 2.4Ghz radio maxing out at 100Mb on most wireless devices:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR450-not-giving-full-speeds-on-2-4GHZ...

@mitchb101 wrote:
Hi Guys.
Thanks for the help.
I'm definitely using cat5e cable. (Checked lights and all cables)
I didnt manually enter the speed. It was done through running the setup again.

After posting here. My ISP had a ticket lodged with nbn and they left a message saying it was fixed / however stated that they did nothing and its working fine.

I powercycled both the modem and router...

And it appears to be 230mbs speed. When connected by ethernet. However if i have it connected via wifi it is still around 110mbs.
^laptop 110
^samsung s8 about 160mbs.

Is this drop off in speed normal? / if 230-250mbs is coming through router... shouldnt wifi still boast the same?

Laptop is a brand new dell g7. I would of thought this would perform better than an s8 as well...
Is there some sort of windows 10 limiting functions on a network.. or some sort of setting in router?

I have also tried disabling qos.... no difference.
Qos is enabled again.

Any thoughts?

Message 6 of 8
mitchb101
Aspirant

5ghz
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, something I'm not seeing on 5ghz here.

Is Smart Connect and MIMO enabled?

What channels are you using on 5Ghz?

Try disabling SC and MIMO and HT160. Set manual channel 48 or a unused channel...

Set WPA to disable temporarily on 5Ghz.

Run a quick test on 5ghz with a wifi device. I would use a phone if possible. If a PC, ensure no security software or plugins are enabled.

After test, re-enable WPA2 and AES only and test again...

Let us know what you find out.

What is the Mfr and model# of the wifi adapters on your PCs?

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7