× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 QOS settings keep getting reset

AlvinLC
Aspirant

XR500 QOS settings keep getting reset

Why doesn't the XR500 keep the QOS settings. I'm running 2.3.2.120 and it keeps resetting the bandwidth settings I set which includes sharing excess which I have to manually turn off daily it seems. You would think that if I go into the setting to disable something it should stay that way instead of having to login sometimes multiple times daily to change it back to the settings that I want them at.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 QOS settings keep getting reset

Is it just the Share Excess settings that aren't sticking or are all features in QoS not maintaining changes that you make? Do you know approximately how long it takes for these settings to be reset? 

Message 2 of 18
AlvinLC
Aspirant

I know at the very least it's the share excess, but I think other settings are resetting as well. The little popup help boxes are reappearing as well, I have no idea what's going on.

I can't give you an exact time frame, but I'll keep an eye on my log today. Since the time I posted this initially and right now, I've had to reset the settings twice.

At this point I'm not sure what I should do. I've heard great things about this router, but can't seem to get any consistent usage out of it. I might go the route of others and just go with the router with best overall coverage and good speeds. Out of warranty period, but bank will still give me a full refund if I can show them that the problems were from the get go.
Message 3 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you trying to set both applications and devices for Bandwidth Allocation? Also are you thinking it's resetting because the Bandwidth Allocation default view may be different to what you have set? E.g. if you have adjusted devices but it defaults to application view you may think it has reset when it hasn't
Message 4 of 18
AlvinLC
Aspirant

I'm adjusting the device settings, but checking application settings whenever I feel like I'm slowing down. It's not that I think it's being changed, it is being changed. I can set it for what I want certain devices to be allocated bandwidth, without fail daily it will reset to how many ever devices are currently or were at the time connected to the network and divided equally amongst them.
Message 5 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

How many connected devices are we talking about roughly? Are you able to reserve IPs for all of them and then see if bandwidth allocation settings will stick?

Message 6 of 18
AlvinLC
Aspirant

On LAN, there are two devices and neither one is on all day. On wifi, between 3-7 throughout the day.

I'm sure I can reserve IP addresses for each device, is that the same as assigning them a static? Any help you could provide on how to do that safely would be appreciated.
Message 7 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Yes, go to Network settings -> LAN Setup and click 'Add' under the address reservation table.

Also, I noticed in your previous response you mention:

I'm adjusting the device settings, but checking application settings whenever I feel like I'm slowing down

Could you please confirm if you go to the Device tab in Bandwidth allocation if the settings have reset or if they're still the same?

Message 8 of 18
AlvinLC
Aspirant

I tried as you asked, and nothing. This is getting extremely frustrating. I understand all technical problems have bugs, but to pay hundreds of dollars for a router to reset the game prioritization is just unacceptable.

So yes, the QOS on devices keeps resetting. I'm not sure how or why, but it just splits up the allocated bandwidth evenly to how many ever devices are on the network at the time.
Message 9 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you unplugging the router frequently by any chance? Also what web browser/device are you using to change settings?
Message 10 of 18
AlvinLC
Aspirant

I never unplug router or modem, and they are both hooked up to a back up power supply. I only do a soft reset maybe once weekly.

Usually chrome to change settings, on a pixel 5g or macbook/surface also using chrome. It's not an issue if the settings not taking, it's the issue of the settings getting reset to default that I don't understand.
Message 11 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you apply settings do you get an Applying Settings box appear?
Message 12 of 18
Franklyn-Turner
Apprentice

Yeah i have this same issue on the XR450 V2.3.2.120 no matter what number of value I set in the qos it resets if i stay on the qos page it will stay but when i change to something else or close out the tab it resets even if i set qos nubers for different devices and they all have static ips. Along with that the qos menu keeps changing from devices like i want it to be but changes to applications for no reason.

@Netduma-Fraser 
https://imgur.com/IxJoE1j 

Message 13 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that!

Did you factory reset after upgrading firmware? This is useful to clear out anything low-level left behind from the previous firmware.

Message 14 of 18
AlvinLC
Aspirant

The answer is yes to both questions. After changing settings it shows the icon with changes being made. Factory reset was done after each time, which is time consuming since I'm having to manually setup all my preferences.

Is there an option to replace the unit with another XR500 or different model after you confirm that it's not doing what is advertised? Regardless of beta or public firmware, known issues not being taken care of like with the xbox elite controller never ends well.

I love the router and software, when it works.
Message 15 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What web browser are you using to set the options? Does it work using Chrome or Firefox?

That is up to Netgear to decide as it's not our hardware.
Message 16 of 18
AlvinLC
Aspirant

I've used mainly chrome, but have used edge and safari. I might have even tried firefox.

Is there someone you can refer me to at netgear or just a generic helpline? Once again, I want your team to know I hold know animosity towards you but am just extremely frustrated by the router not holding up to even the lowest end models.
Message 17 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Would you be able to do a video of how you set it up and then how it resets? It may help for us to either see maybe where you can do something to get it to save or help us try to reproduce it.

You'd have to make a ticket with NG by going here: http://support.netgear.com/

It is very unlikely they will swap it for a different model but they may be able to replace it. Appreciate it!
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7