× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 -start up - blinking power light right out of box?

clodgek
Aspirant

XR500 -start up - blinking power light right out of box?

Been an ASUS user for 15+ years. Current model AC3100. Upgraded my ISP to Gigablast. Decided to upgrade modem and router to go along with Gigablast. Bought a CM 1000V2 and a XR500. The XR 500 got here yesterday and I hooked it up. Downloaded the Nighthawk app to get setup. Right outta the box the XR 500 has the power light blinking of death. Tried to re boot.... reboot cycle power button.... 30/30/30 reset... still blinks and does nothing. Reading that it’s a “ corrupt file”....??? Kidding me? After being on the phone with an idiot that took an hour just to register it.... BYW tells me that the serial # is invalid.... transfer me to another idiot that..... never answered after 2 hours on hold. Ridiculous.
The XR 500 is the top of gaming routers all over the web but yet out of the box... file corrupted? Joke!

Plug my ASUS back in and within seconds.... up and running. All the years of running ASUS... never had to call customer service once. Now, Iam sure that the CM1000 modem that I just bought will take a poop too... so Iam sure that I will have to go back to Arris

Extremely disappointed and last night was 3-1/2 hours of my life that I cannot get back.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 -start up - blinking power light right out of box?

I would recommend reinstalling the latest firmware using the TFTP method. This will install the firmware prior to the boot process and so will bypass any issues if they are there. Then would suggest a factory reset so you get the freshest install possible.

Firmware: https://kb.netgear.com/000061157/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-56
TFTP: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP?_ga=2...
Message 2 of 6
clodgek
Aspirant

LMFAO..... So I pay $249+ tax and now I have to DL and re-insert a program (update) into the highest rated gaming router on the web? Kidding me?

I have returned it and Iam currently waiting for the new one to arrive, should be tomorrow. iF THIS ONE DOES THE SAME THING.... COMPLETELY done with NETGEAR bs.

At this price point, being NETGEAR, highest rated gaming router, I should be able to pull it out of the box and get it rolling with-in a half hour. Not fix a router then pray it works. 

All the ASUS routers I have ever had ...out of the box kicked ass. Including the AC3100 that I have right now getting 550mb DL & 55MB UP load on a first gen PS4.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

All I can do is provide support once you have the router, I've no idea why that happened and I've not seen it before. Fingers crossed the replacement works well.
Message 4 of 6
clodgek
Aspirant

I appreciate your offer to assist. I just find it extremely difficult to wrap my head around the fact that I have to get support to DL new firmware on a top rated router right out of the box.
In fact, if I decided to get support, there is nothing that I could do to get the new firmware since I do not have a PC, laptop etc etc. All I have is a I phone , PS4, modem, and a few tv’s.

I wouldn’t have the slightest idea how I could get the new firmware when the XR500 won’t even start up outta the box.

Once I receive the new one, if I have the same issue, what’s your plan?
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it's basically broken out of the box then there isn't much I can suggest - especially if you can't do the TFTP method so I would then suggest returning it.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7