× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 with seperate DHCP Server won't connect to internet

Smaugger
Tutor

XR500 with seperate DHCP Server won't connect to internet

This router won't reconnect to the internet half the time (never resolves it's IP address). Then when it does connect after multiple power cycles (it randomly decides to work), the DumaOS never successfully updates it's connection status. The dashboard then says "Connection Status: Connecting" and never fully connects. I have to manually go to the internet setup page and click the "Test" button for it to finally update it's connection status. I have to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME i reboot the router. If I don't do this, basic features on the router don't work (like OpenVPN) because the router doesn't think it's connected to the internet. This is a huge problem because if I'm out of town, and the power goes out at my house, I can't VPN into my home network once the power comes back online because OpenVPN doesn't work because the router doesn't think it's connected to the internet.

This router is great until you start doing things an advanced user does. For $300, I expect all included features to be fully working on a router. Really disappointed in Netgear. I used a R7000 prior to this router and never had any of these issues. At this point I just want a refund so I can go back to my R7000 which was a much cheaper and worked correctly.,

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 with seperate DHCP Server won't connect to internet

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Did you power OFF the ISP modem along with the NG router before setting UP the XR router? 

Does the modem have a built in router? If so, Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. 

Message 2 of 5
Smaugger
Tutor

Firmware loaded is 2.3.2.40.

I power cycle everything. Modem and router. Sometimes I only power cycle the router. The issue is not related to the cable modem. If I turn the DHCP server on the router, it works. If I turn the DHCP server off on the router and use a different DHCP server, it doesn't work. The router should work the same with the DHCP server disabled on it.

Just to appeas you since this doesn't matter, the modem is an Arris SB6190. 

What is setting my modem to bridge mode going to do? That has absolutely nothing to do with the router not connecting to the internet correctly when the DHCP server on the router is disabled.

Message 3 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

What firmware version are you on? (You find this by clicking on the 'i' icon in the top right corner)

I recommend you factory reset to get a clean start at setting this up. Hopefully it will be ok after that. Instructions here: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking to see if you have a DHCP server on the modem is all. 

Check to see if doing a factory reset and setting up from scratch and then disable DHCP server on the XR router while you have the other DHCP server enabled and see if this resolves. Most of the time the XR router likes to have it's DHCP server enabled and use it. This is how most home class routers and users use this router. The DUMA OS portion of the XR router is specialized and specific for the XR series, so maybe something that may not be supported on this series of router like it is with the R series. Something I would ask NG support about to see if your configuration is supported fully on the XR series routers. 

FYI about your ISP modem:

http://www.badmodems.com

@Smaugger wrote:

Firmware loaded is 2.3.2.40.

I power cycle everything. Modem and router. Sometimes I only power cycle the router. The issue is not related to the cable modem. If I turn the DHCP server on the router, it works. If I turn the DHCP server off on the router and use a different DHCP server, it doesn't work. The router should work the same with the DHCP server disabled on it.

Just to appeas you since this doesn't matter, the modem is an Arris SB6190. 

What is setting my modem to bridge mode going to do? That has absolutely nothing to do with the router not connecting to the internet correctly when the DHCP server on the router is disabled.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7