× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xfinity boosted my speed to 1.2gb, can I achieve that?

GhillieK9
Apprentice

Xfinity boosted my speed to 1.2gb, can I achieve that?

Hello,

Xfinity just told me that my 1gb speed just got upgraded to 1.2. I have the XR700 router and the CM1100 modem. I see that my modem supports the WAN aggregation (hooking up the two ethernet cables to achieve higher than 1gb speed). Is there a way to set my XR700 router to handle that speed? I see it has that ethernet link aggregation but I don't think that is for WAN...right? I think that is just for LAN stuff, for example a NAS or something. What about that 10g port...any way to aggregate the 10g port with the one WAN? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Xfinity boosted my speed to 1.2gb, can I achieve that?

I don't see that the xr700 supports wan link aggregation but it does have the 10g port that can be used for wan. 

But the CM1100 only has gigabit ports. It uses wan link aggregation for >1gig speeds. 

So you can get faster spees that 1 gig with the xr700 but not with how the cm1100 connects to it. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

The WAN port will handle these speeds just fine, the only limitation will be the LAN ports wihch are Gigabit. However, wireless devices will be able to take advantages of your new speeds!

Message 2 of 13
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Oh that's good to know! Thanks! I thought even the WAN was only up to 1.0.... Does the same apply to the modem's WAN?
Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

I don't see that the xr700 supports wan link aggregation but it does have the 10g port that can be used for wan. 

But the CM1100 only has gigabit ports. It uses wan link aggregation for >1gig speeds. 

So you can get faster spees that 1 gig with the xr700 but not with how the cm1100 connects to it. 

Message 4 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

My apologies, I've just doublechecked the specification and the WAN port is also Gigabit I'm afraid! Do you need more than 1000mbps or were you just interested in seeing if your network could utilise these speeds?

Message 5 of 13
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Okay thank you! I'll look into a different modem. Thank you all
Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Keep in mind the xr700's 10g port is a sfp port. Its not a standard ethernet connection so would need a sfp connector/adapter. 

They're not exactly cheap.

Message 7 of 13
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Do you know much about the Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1? It has a 2.5gb port so looks like that would work for me...
Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

don't know much about that device. 

but again, look at the adapter needed to be able to connect the mb8611 to the sft port (amx765 adapter). 

the netgear version costs around $300 (from netgear). 

that's more than the cost of something like the RAX78 which support wan port aggregation and is a triband AX router.

Plus you have the cost of the mb8611.

Your costs are ballooning. Is it really worth the expense for the extra 0.2gig you'll get from your speed? 

Especially when most devices/services can't even saturate gig speeds. 

For example, streaming 4k tv only usually takes 30-40mbps max. 

so you might see the benefit downoading a game (if the game servers are fast enough) or downloading massive files. 

I've got the 1.2gig service from xfinity and the equipment to support it. But I haven't noticed a slight difference from 1gig to 1.2gig. 

and I use a ton of data a month. 

Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

Also, I'll be honest, I haven't had to deal with sfp ports so not sure the best option of being able to connect to the sfp port on the xr700 to a modem. 

But the buy in for utilizing that extra 0.2 is quite a bit for your setup. 

Message 10 of 13
GhillieK9
Apprentice

$300? Oh forget that...that's not worth it for 0.2

I thought they were like $50?

Is this the right thing...

FLYPROFiber 10GBase-T SFP+ to RJ45 10G Copper Module for Cisco Meraki, Cat6A/Cat7 RJ-45 Transceiver for Cisco SFP-10G-T-S, Meraki, Ubiquiti, Supermicro, Netgear and More, 100ft/30M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FX9YWMV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_R8AQG3908K8K1KYK1M0C?_encoding=UTF8...
Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

Unsure as what would be compatible with that router/sfp port. $50 *might* be worth it. 

maybe @Netduma-Liam can chime in? 

that modem you linked to is around $170 plus add in the sfp port adapters even if its only $50, still pushes the buy in pretty high for little extra you get. Again, cost/benefit is a gray zone at those points. 

Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7