× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 Hardwire high latency and NAT

Lejeunez
Tutor

Xr500 Hardwire high latency and NAT

Hi! So I just switched from charter spectrum to a new internet provider that is supposed to be like fiber called Great Lakes energy Truestream. I reinstalled the router hardwired to Xbox but when I try to play my NAT starts as can’t find, then is moderate then open and almost back and forth. Also, my latency is 3x as high hardwired through the xr500 than through just the modem itself and speed is 300 download less and 200 upload less. My speed test on the router when it loaded after reinstall said 980mbs down and 980mbs up, but when I run it the test on the Xbox it is like 600 and 200 with 26 latency, that is after I change the geo filter. Before it is like 400 and 20 with 68 latency. My speed test wirelessly on my computer was 640 down and 640 up with 2 ping. What can I change to not have to deal with the geofilter every time I get on. I hated spectrum and have heard rave reviews on this truestream service, but I don’t know why the numbers are so inconsistent.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
Lejeunez
Tutor

Re: Xr500 Hardwire high latency and NAT

Also, this is a picture I just took of the speeds testing the router on the app.
Message 2 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

First of all, do you have a pure modem or a router that gives WiFi from your new provider? If the latter how have you connected the XR to it to ensure an open NAT? e.g. modem, bridge mode, DMZ etc.
Message 3 of 14
Lejeunez
Tutor

It should be a pure modem, they had the WiFi option but because I had this router they said it was better than anything they used.
Message 4 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you mean they had the WiFi option? Do you mean the modem you have right now is capable of WiFi or they would have given you a router with WiFi if you didn't have the XR? On the XR in WAN Settings change NAT to Open, does that help with the NAT issue?
Message 5 of 14
Lejeunez
Tutor

They would have given me one with WiFi capabilities had I not had the XR. Instead they gave me the modem only version. I will check that when I get home today.
Message 6 of 14
Lejeunez
Tutor

I realized I never responded. The NAT type is fixed but my numbers don’t match at all. My upload is better on WiFi than hardwired through the router. The numbers are still good, don’t get me wrong, but just doesn’t seem right that my upload would be like 400mbs better on wifi.
Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are the download speeds via ethernet compared to the WiFi? You may have a faulty cable.
Message 8 of 14
Lejeunez
Tutor

I know the upload was like 300-400mbs less, but that’s just off memory. I will have to check tonight. The speeds in from the nighthawk app day 940 down and 940 up with like 1 ping. My download and upload on WiFi were 650 down something and 650 up something. I don’t think I have ever had the upload show over like 300 hardwired. I can get new wires, but those ones were new with the nighthawk I believe.
Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Check the Device Manager table view, what are the link speeds for each port?
Message 10 of 14
Lejeunez
Tutor

Where do I check each port link speed?

@Netduma-Fraser wr

Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Click the 3 line icon on the top left of the Device Manager and switch to table view, it will then be at the top of the panel.
Message 12 of 14
Lejeunez
Tutor

It says full connected, Full Duplex, 1000Mbits

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is that for every single port?
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats