× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 and dm200 setup

P44EFC
Apprentice

xr500 and dm200 setup

I have the xr500 and my current modem is the BT business smart hub set in bridge mode.

Receiving the DM200 modem tomorrow i just wanted to know do i have any installation with this or will it work directly out the box.

I have put the PPPOE usename and password in the xr500 obviously already with my current setup, do i need to do something similar with the new modem when i set it up or not?

Model: DM200|Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: xr500 and dm200 setup

As long as the PPPoE username and password are in the XR500, which you say they are, then there shouldn't be any specific setup required. Most modems will just work out of the box as long as they're provided the correct login details from the router.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be aware that the DM model modem already had a built in router. This was limited model that came out. It's recommended to bridge this modem then connect the XR router to the DM modem and configure the XR router. You should be able to keep the PPPoE configuration current. 

@P44EFC wrote:

I have the xr500 and my current modem is the BT business smart hub set in bridge mode.

Receiving the DM200 modem tomorrow i just wanted to know do i have any installation with this or will it work directly out the box.

I have put the PPPOE usename and password in the xr500 obviously already with my current setup, do i need to do something similar with the new modem when i set it up or not?

Message 3 of 9
P44EFC
Apprentice

It’s the dm200-100eus The full title is that the one with the built in router also?

Sounds like your not impressed with this as a modem and I was after a modem only tbh.

I can get this refunded and go for a better option if you have one?

Reason being I am having a few issues with gameplay with current setup so was hoping this modem was an upgrade from bridging the Bt smart hub, is it not an upgrade?
Message 4 of 9
P44EFC
Apprentice

So no need to connect to a pc and go through the wizard first then?

Would you say this is an upgrade on bridging my Bt hub to the xr500 or not?

If I’m going down a blind alley with this then please let me know what setup I should consider instead.

Message 5 of 9
P44EFC
Apprentice

Looking into it a lot recommend the draytek vigor 130 for modem only it seems.

Maybe I should go for that option?
Message 6 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I imagine that the modem has a web interface you can access to put it into bridge mode. Look up the model online and see what it's default IP address is.

Message 7 of 9
P44EFC
Apprentice

Yes i went into the interface set it up into bridge was very easy to be honest, can i ask is this a good product used as a standalone modem or is there no benefits of this in comparison with using BT smart hub in bridge?

been using it since over the weekend, same speeds and ping as the BT hub but that is to be expected, not sure if it is placebo but the anti bufferbloat appears to be working better with the DM200.

Message 8 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well the DM200 should in theory be more compatible as it's giving the router an unfiltered connection. The BT Hub could be fiddling with the traffic in all sorts of ways and we wouldn't know.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7