× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chomecast 3 and Wifi settings

pepicek444
Aspirant

Chomecast 3 and Wifi settings

I had issue with Chromecast 3 and router Nighthawk AX4. It was not possible to establish connection between them. Netgear support did not help me. They told me, I have to focuse on Chromecast security protection. They were wrong.

I hope it would help many people:

Step 1. - using 2,4GHz wifi frequency be sure, that your channel is not 12,13 or 14. Otherwise Chromecast will not see the Wifi net. You have to set channel for 2.4Ghz manually: Basic Wireless Wireless Setup Channel. Pick any free channel according to help of any Wifi analizer application.

Step 2. - enable UPnP. Advanced UPnP turn UPnP on (tick it)

Step 3. - enable IGMP Proxy. ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup > Disable IGMP Proxying (tick it off)

Step 4. Set your Chromecast via Home Google app. In case of need reset Chromecast 3 to factory settings by holding of button located on the edge of oval for 10 seconds. Chromecast must under charge (conected to the power). Than wait for about 1 minute - Chromecast will set its factory defaults.

Good luck!

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Chomecast 3 and Wifi settings

@pepicek444 wrote:

...using 2,4GHz wifi frequency be sure, that your channel is not 12,13 or 14. Otherwise Chromecast will not see the Wifi net. ...

This indicates your Chromecast 3 device is restricted for usage under FCC regulations, and/or not ready (yet?) to be operated in other parts of the world where the channels 12 and 13 are allowed. Channel 14 is even more restricted (for example in Japan, the channel 14 is allowed for DSSS and CCK, Clause 18 == 802.11b, not useful for a Chromecast 3 at all). Reads to me they followed the older FCC regulations very strictly, or try to avoid legal claims for devices legally sold in the States. This is unlikely a router issue, so not much Netgear support could help here. We own US imported early Google Nexus 5 development phones which have the similar restriction burned in*, while WW variants of the same model are workable. (*and this does not change when the phone has got location data!)

Does the Chormecast 3 not see and connect to 5 GHz? This might indicate another problem with the radio driver on the Chromecast 3, several WiFi chips/drivers required driver updates to operate with Wi-Fi 6 capable access points. For such a capable 802.11ac client, the 2.4 GHz band might be a little bit "thin" anyway.

You should challenge Google's Chromecast support, too!

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Curious, once your Chromecast 3 was successfully connected, does Google Home show the correct country code along with the cast version under the device settings?

And if it does show a country different from FCC and where 12 and 13 are allowed, does it still fail to discover a 2.4 GHz AP operating on these channels?
Message 3 of 4
pepicek444
Aspirant

If router operate above 11 channel on 2.4GHz frequency you have no chance to see this Wifi net in Google Home. The reason of it is not important for me. It simply does not work. Connection is impossible.

In case of 5 GHz frequency is important to set up Google Home using mobile conected to router on 5GHz frequency. Wifi ac is the best choise, but it also works with Wifi n. 

Reporting unsupported countries I consider unnecessary. You can easy confirm this warning. It has no influence on pairing Chromecast 3 and Netgear AX40. 

The most important step (which Netgear support does not know) is:  Step 3. - enable IGMP Proxy. ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup > Disable IGMP Proxying (tick it off)

This is the KEY! Router needs to be setted up! The other mentioned settings are already factory defaults or simply understandable logical item to find and set.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7