× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Nighthawk RAX 80 to Telstra Gen 2 modem ( Arcadyan LH1000)

bearace
Tutor

Connecting Nighthawk RAX 80 to Telstra Gen 2 modem ( Arcadyan LH1000)

Router Nighthawk AX 8 Wifi router 

Modem Telstra Gen 2, Arcadyan LH1000, with telephone backup via sim card

How do I connect the nighthawk RAX 80 router to the Telstra Gen 2 Modem and still have full functionality of the router and modem. I would like to have the control and functions of the router including wi- fi and use the modem for internet and telephone but enable the backup system for the telephone using the modem SIM card. Currently have the system working with internet connection by putting the router in bridged mode, however this minimises the functions of the router. Have tried putting the Telstra modem in bridge mode, however this then disables the telephone backup sim card which if we have power outages does not allow us to make telephone calls, so is not an option. Have read there maybe an option of  connecting the router and modem by VLAN. Would this work?. Would this enable full functionality of the modem and router. If setting a VLAN, it  requires an VLAN ID from 1 to 4094. What would the number be for Telstra? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting Nighthawk RAX 80 to Telstra Gen 2 modem ( Arcadyan LH1000)

Not all device makers code properly. Which is why you might be having issues with dmz. 

One thing to check is the IP address. Make sure the Arcadyan doesn't have the same IP address as the netgear if settingup dmz. 

If they both used the same IP address,DMZ isn't going to work. You'd have to change it. For example

Arcadyan at 192.168.1.1

Netgear at 192.168.2.1

options?

1. Try the above

2. Leave it in a double nat. can cause issues with some devices

3. Put the netgear in AP mode. you do lose some features you don't want to lose but you might be caught in a catch-22 of damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What actual gateway model number is it? 

Some have a DMZ feature. You simply add the netgears IP address to the dmz and it passes all traffic through to that IP address. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

You did put it. My bad. it was in the title. 

a quick look at telstra shows the dmz is under: Advanced > Local Network > Local network > DMZ

Message 3 of 6
bearace
Tutor

Thanks for the advise but unfortunately no luck.

Logged into telstra modem, found DMZ under firewall, checked box and assigned IP address to router IP address.ie,xxx.xxx.0.4

Unchecked DHCP server and logged out.

Went into router, unchecked from AP, checked DHCP server, assigned IP address as per modem and logged out.

Restarted Modem, then router the PC couldnt access either device, no internet or router.

Restarted Router, then modem, then PC no changed.

After many hours of trying still no luck. Have had to do full reset of both modem and router, several times  plugging each into the PC individually to adjust settings and have reset router back as AP to get back up and running in short term.

Not sure where I am going wrong, any more advise would be greatly appreciated.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not all device makers code properly. Which is why you might be having issues with dmz. 

One thing to check is the IP address. Make sure the Arcadyan doesn't have the same IP address as the netgear if settingup dmz. 

If they both used the same IP address,DMZ isn't going to work. You'd have to change it. For example

Arcadyan at 192.168.1.1

Netgear at 192.168.2.1

options?

1. Try the above

2. Leave it in a double nat. can cause issues with some devices

3. Put the netgear in AP mode. you do lose some features you don't want to lose but you might be caught in a catch-22 of damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Message 5 of 6
bearace
Tutor

Thanks for the advise. Sorry its taken so long to respond. Unfortunately my network goes down for several hours or days when I start trying to fix this issue. Still not able to connect as I would like. Have left it in a double NAT configuration at the moment which is functioning OK. Just connot see the Telstra modem on the network. If we have a power outage will be fun to see how it restarts

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7