× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS and Printer problems RAX80

temmet
Aspirant

DNS and Printer problems RAX80

Client OS: Windows 10 64 bit

Router: Nighthawk RAX80

Router firmware: V1.0.3.106_1.0.50

Purchase Date: 12/20/2020

Printer: Brother HL-L2380DW

I am ready to take a bat to this router and live in the woods.

I have a DNS problem that has existed since day one. Periodically, attempts to resolve a website will be very slow or outright fail. This happens to all devices, at times of high-use and low-use, regardless of how recently the request may have successfully resolved, and the device will maintain connection to the internet when it struggles to resolve a webpage. It gets weirder on the individual machines - Chrome may show a DNS error while Firefox loads the webpage without a problem, or vice versa. This happens inside applications with browsers, too, like Steam.

I have used static and alternate DNS configurations on the router as well as clients and the problem persists. I haven’t noticed a reduction in frequency. This problem went away if I used the old router. I don’t know what to do.

Now I have a printer that the router can detect but to which no client can connect. I’ve reconnected the printer to the network to ensure a fresh connection, reinstalled the printer software and drivers on the clients, but have had no success so far. While investigating this today, I noticed that none of the clients can ping each other but they can ping the router. Is there a setting in the router I’m missing?

Thanks, and please let me know what other information is needed to solve these problems.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: DNS and Printer problems RAX80

@temmet wrote:

Now I have a printer that the router can detect but to which no client can connect. I’ve reconnected the printer to the network to ensure a fresh connection, reinstalled the printer software and drivers on the clients, but have had no success so far. While investigating this today, I noticed that none of the clients can ping each other but they can ping the router. Is there a setting in the router I’m missing?

Is this a wifi connection from the printer to the router?

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

@temmet wrote:

I have a DNS problem that has existed since day one.

Given the symptoms you describe, it might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 7
temmet
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Is this a wifi connection from the printer to the router?

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

The printer software didn't detect the printer, but I was able to manually configure the IP address and it worked. I didn't use the Brother software with the last router so I assumed the same was true this time. Thank you very much.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Given the symptoms you describe, it might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

The modem is a Netgear CM600.

Message 3 of 7

@temmet wrote:

The printer software didn't detect the printer, but I was able to manually configure the IP address and it worked. I didn't use the Brother software with the last router so I assumed the same was true this time.

Smells like a printer/PC issue. But I am not familiar with Brother printers.

However, it make sense to me to at least trying to follow the maker's instructions before moving on to esoteric DNS tweaks.

@temmet wrote:

Nothing complicated to get in the way there.

Message 4 of 7
temmet
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@temmet wrote:

I apologize for the break between my posts. I'm back, with the same DNS problem. My printer issue has been resolved but I'm still getting strange DNS problems. If it isn't my modem, what should I be checking next?

Message 5 of 7

@temmet wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@temmet wrote:

I apologize for the break between my posts. I'm back, with the same DNS problem. My printer issue has been resolved but I'm still getting strange DNS problems. If it isn't my modem, what should I be checking next?

It remains unclear to me what these "strange DNS problems" are.

Message 6 of 7
temmet
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@temmet wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@temmet wrote:

It remains unclear to me what these "strange DNS problems" are.

Here is an example of what happens: I have a wired connection to my router. I attempted to connect to an IMDB webpage while I was simultaneously streaming Amazon music. The IMDB page didn't load, despite streaming music. I refreshed the Amazon page and it came right back. For about 20 seconds, Chrome gave me DNS error codes whenever I tried to load the page, except for a few times when it instead stated it lost internet connectivity. Windows didn't show a network disconnection.

While writing this message, I used Firefox. It alterted me several times it was disconnected from the internet and autosaved the draft but the music never stopped.The Steam application's internal web brwoser will also fail to load a page it was just displaying, or to a linked page. Across browsers, these aren't just slow load times - the attempts will time out and display a DNS error about not being able to find the host. The only browser which doesn't display a DNS error is Edge, but it will just hang and hang and hang and eventually load the page, but it approxmiately the same time as the others do.

Is that clearer? I assume they are DNS problems because the browers are displaying DNS error codes. Is there something else I should be checking?

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7