× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with VPN DDNS Port Forwarding Setup

dkenniston
Aspirant

Help with VPN DDNS Port Forwarding Setup

I'm not a tech guru, but am trying to set up my VPN.

First step was setting up a No-IP account for DDNS. That is done.

No-IP instructions recommended Port Forwarding as part of setup. Not sure what needs to happen here, so haven't taken any steps yet.

Next, I went to my router's VPN Service and enabled. Here's where I get confused:

1. The router's Help instructions tell me to download OpenVPN, but the Netgear Knowledgebase article on VPN setup says to install Tunnelblick. These are two separate VPN clients. Which should I use?

2. I installed Tunnelblick (since OpenVPN wouldn't accept the files that were part of the "For non-Windows" VPN service package). I was able to follow the Tunnelblick setup instructions and create a profile successfully. However, when I try to Connect using Tunnelblick, I get stuck on "Waiting for server response." After some time, the logs show: "TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)." And each time this happens, I get a notification via my Nighthawk app saying "NETGEAR Armor detected that [my device] is sending your authentication information using weak encryption and has reset the connection and blocked the URL dynupdate.noip.com/settings/php?..." Is NETGEAR Armor blocking my VPN? Given the blocked URL, it looks like there's some connection between No-IP and Tunnelblick. I get at a high-level what No-IP does and what Tunnelblick does, but I don't understand a) how they're supposed to work together, and b) what role Port Forwarding plays in this setup, if any.

How can I get this VPN to work? Any help would be appreciated... Thank you!

OS = macOS Catalina (v 10.15.7)

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: Help with VPN DDNS Port Forwarding Setup

With the VPN service on netgear routers, there is no need to do any port formwarding asthe router will automatically configure things for you.

If you use DDNS just be sure to set that up first, and when the router is able to successfully update the DDNS entry. then on the VPN page

the only settings you need to worry about is whether you want to allos VPN clients to access just the LAN or if you want them to also access the internet through the VPN.

Their instructions for Mac OS, lead here. https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resources/connecting-to-access-server-with-macos/

They list instructions for multiple different clients

You will likely need to unzip the config file since it needs to access the .ovpn file.

This video should help provide more info on how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZMLFMsq3c

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7