× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 vs Orbi AC3000

AkWingnut
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX8 vs Orbi AC3000

Hi there,

Currently I own or have the Orbi AC3000 with one satellite. I am on the fence right now, I love my MESH routers, however, they do not play nice with my WiFi cameras as they tend to switch between the 2.5 and 5 spectrum. Also when I try to access or view my camera at one time (please see attached photo). The cameras tend to go offline. So I am wondering, if I get the new WiFi 6 AX8 would that help me with my cameras? Any and all input would be awesome. So in the photo the views on the left are my 2.4 WiFi cameras, the ones on the right are WiFi to their NOD, which is then connected via Ethernet to the router. So Once I load this view the right side starts going offine and loosing connection to the cameras and then the left side starts to lose their connections. Again will getting the AX8 help with that? Thank you again

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX8 vs Orbi AC3000

Might help to trouble shoot the Orbi system first.

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Placement is key. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

The RAX routers may or may not be of any help. Also since AX is the new standard, your current devices would not be using the new AX standard since they don't support AX. I presume the cameras are N mode cameras?

I have 3 cameras connected to a RBK50 and have zero problems. There 2.4Ghz only supporting cameras though. 

Message 2 of 9
AkWingnut
Aspirant

Thank you I will try what you suggested, I will glady try all your suggestions when I get home. My house is not very big at all maybe 1800sf, however the way that it is shaped and where I place the router probably play into how my setup might be not so great. I keep it updated for firmware. I was always understanding that the "mesh" system switches between 2.4 and 5 on its own, where ever the load is greater. So at times I will be viewing my cameras and all of a sudden they stop working or I lose my connection to them. I also have two RING products and each use their own adapter since RING states it does not support MESH systems. 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, placement is key and distance. 1800sq ft is kinda small for the Orbi system. However placement adjustments may help out. 

Let us know feedback when you get home and gather it all up. 

6 cameras? If so, then also be aware that some maybe clogging wifi bandwidth as well, depending upon there resolution settings. 

Message 4 of 9
AkWingnut
Aspirant

Clogging bandwidth is probably the problem. I have really 2 RING system, doorbell pro and the securty camera one. I have 6 Mi Cameras, 1x720 4x1080p and 1 1080p dome then my other system has a box and 4 wifi cameras itself. So would the AX8 support more than the Orbi? Thanks again

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would look at the data sheet and compare. 

Ya having HQ cameras online and all streaming at the same time will probably be taxing for any router. 

Message 6 of 9
AkWingnut
Aspirant

Hitron

Here are the answers to the questions that were asked:

Router Firmware Version V2.3.1.4

Modem Model

Hitron CODA-45

It is Router Mode

There is no switch involved, just the Main Orbi and one Satellite (under attached devices the Satellite does state that connection type is 5g? does that matter?)

Living space is 1216sq ft built in 1984 bottom floor 568sq ft top floor 648 sq ft

The main unit is placed upstairs front bedroom behind the computer monitors, items connected to is the Modem, then home computer, ZOSI 4PCS 720p Wireless Outdoor IP Camera System with Network Video Recording kit. Satellite is placed in the downstairs middle of the house, on a ledge that seperates the living from the kitchen. Connected wired devices, LG LED TV, PS4, Roku and Laptop used to for the TV.

Channeling is set to Auto

WiFi Neighbors, see attached photo of the spectrum of WiFi, highest is mine.

WPA settings, WPS2-PSK [AES]

Beamforming, Mu-MIMO, Fast roaming are enabled.WMM is enabled on both 2.4 and 5GHz

Daisy Chain enabled - will disbale

Fast Roaming is enabled - will disable

IPv6 is disabled

20/40 MHz is not checked on 2.4GHz, will not let me select 40MHz alone see photo

Camera setup

Ring - Doorbell Pro 2.4/5GHz uses Ring Chime Pro attached to outside front door, signal has to pass through 2 doors before it his WiFi Satellite so it uses Ring Chime Pro to boost it

Ring - Flood Light Cam outside rear deck, also uses a different Ring Chime Pro. I've worked with RING Tech support. If I remove one of the Chime Pros the strength of either one becomes allot weaker due to distance.

Xiaomi Mi - 6 total, 4 1080p 1 720p fixed cameras and 1 1080p 360 Dome

ZOSI 4PCS Megapixel 720P Wireless Outdoor IP Camera System 30M Night vision with 4CH Security 720P HD Network NVR Wifi Kit

Message 7 of 9
AkWingnut
Aspirant

So I upgraded (so I thought) to the newer AX8 Netgear NightHawk. Man am I ever sorry I wasted my time going to this router. Given I do not live in a large house as explained in my previous comments but that AC3000 Orbi made everything so simple. Every item that connected to the router or satellite, connected with SPEED, everything. WIth this new AX8, even devices on the 5GHz are running slow. I am not sure what I might be doing that is wrong but it is horrible, I am going to give it till the end of the weekend and if it does not improve I am going to send it back. Ways that it is worse than before, even though the 2.4GHz now has 1.2GPs rather than 400MBs my cameras are finding it harder to stay online or connected, why, well now there is just the router upstairs, there is no Satellite for them to connect to so some are farther away than they were before. The RING products I still have the CHIME PROs hooked up so they still have their satellite(s) so to speak to connect to and help boost their strength. My MI cameras they do alright, however, the ZOSI cameras keep going offline more than before. My Note 9 used to hit speeds of 300 using Speedtest, now I'm lucky to hit 60. Maybe I have something wrong, I do not know, I combined the two together to see if that helps 2.4/5GHz to make one login and we will see. Maybe I need to power everything down and try again? Not so sure either.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
Melvinoa82
Aspirant

Did you figure it out?

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements