× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX35 conncting to hotspot

Moline
Guide

Nighthawk RAX35 conncting to hotspot

Hello,

I got a great deal on the Nighthawk RAX35. I bought it and now I am trying to figure out if I can use my Sprint mobile hotspot device to supply internet thru the RAX35 so my corded pc's can use the connection. I tried looking at the bridge section but it does not allow an input for my SSID and password from the hotspot. I have searched the forums and have not found an answer, please help

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Moline
Guide

Re: Nighthawk RAX35 conncting to hotspot

Found my own solution after buying a few other wireless routers/repeater. The one I found that is working well is a AMPEDWIRELESS High Power AC2200 WI-FI Range Extender (RE2200T), easy setup, found my hotspot device as soon as it was turned on. set my passwords for each frequency 2.4ghz, 5ghz and unit did its reset and now my wired pc's are connected to my hotspot.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies

@Moline wrote:

I have searched the forums and have not found an answer....

Probably because it won't work. I see no sign in the manual that the RAX35 can work as a wireless repeater.

Netgear makes a separate range of kit for the purpose you describe.

Mobile Broadband | Home | NETGEAR 

Message 2 of 9
Moline
Guide

And that was no help, That is where all the confusion comes from people will say "Netgear makes a separate range of kit for the purpose you describe." but if I go to the store front and shop for a wireless repeater, Nothing comes up ..,.so then you buy something and see if it works because nothing is listed in wireless repeater.

Message 3 of 9

@Moline wrote:

...if I go to the store front and shop for a wireless repeater, Nothing comes up ..,.so then you buy something and see if it works because nothing is listed in wireless repeater.

Who said that a repeater is what you want? You need something at the front of your network that can perform as a router.

It doesn't help that you have given no clues as to what this "Sprint mobile hotspot device" can do.

The best people to ask for advice are those behind whatever this Sprint device is. They should be able to advise you on the sort of thing you need. As is, we are all left guessing.

I provided a link to Netgear's range of products that support using mobile networks to deliver wifi at home.

Here is a more detailed link:

Nighthawk® M1 Mobile Router 

You might waste less of your time trying to guess what you want and doing some research into how these things work.

The bottom line is that the RAX35 is not suitable for what you want.

Message 4 of 9
Moline
Guide

My sprint hotspot device is basically one of those

I can take it anywhere and it provides a wifi signal that i connect to with my wireless devices and gain internet access, it is limited to 10 devices and has NO WIRED connections, so i cannot connect my wired pc to it. Currently I am using a old cheap NETIS WF2419 300Mbps Wireless N Router that cost $15. It will take my wifi signal from the sprint hotspot device and use it as LAN source and provide a new wifi signal to all my other devices and my wired pc also. So when I found the sale add for a new top of line Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router. I guessed it would have more capabilities than a wireless router released in 2013. 

Message 5 of 9

@Moline wrote:

My sprint hotspot device is basically one of those

OK. The place to ask about that is here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

You can also get hold of the manual here:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

The MR1100 is a router so, for a quiet life, you don't want to add another router behind it. You could try using the RAX35 as a wireless access point plugged into the MR1100.

@Moline wrote:

So when I found the sale add for a new top of line Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router. I guessed it would have more capabilities than a wireless router released in 2013. 

First, the RAX35 is not "top of line", just one or a number of RAX devices.If anything I'd put it at the bottom of the RAX range. For example, the RAX120 costs around three times as much as the RAX35 while the RAX80 is about twice the price.

It almost certainly has more capabilities than a wireless router released in 2013, just a set of features that does not include the one you couldn't find in the data sheet. There are RAX devices that support wireless bridging (see above). You just chose one that doesn't.

Message 6 of 9
Moline
Guide

so it appears your saying to support my Sprint hotspot device (ZTE MV920VS) by providing ethernet connections to my hardwired pc's and printers. Which is now currently done by a $20 NETIS WF2419 300mbs wireless N-router. This $200 Nighthawk RAX35 non top of the line WIFI-6 router wont do the job but instead I must buy some other more expensive RAX model that may or may not do wireless bridging.  Again we are back to the fact that I search for wireless bridging or wireless repeater ( a term you used in your first response to me) and not get a straight answer, business stuff comes up but I do not own a large home or feel i should spend $200+ dollars to update a $20 router. Looks like a WAC564 may do the job but again nothing seems to be a straight foreward answer.

Message 7 of 9

@Moline wrote:

so it appears your saying to support my Sprint hotspot device (ZTE MV920VS) by providing ethernet connections to my hardwired pc's and printers. Which is now currently done by a $20 NETIS WF2419 300mbs wireless N-router. This $200 Nighthawk RAX35 non top of the line WIFI-6 router wont do the job but instead I must buy some other more expensive RAX model that may or may not do wireless bridging. 

There is a lot going on there. Not helped by not having sentences to guide us.

You have dribbled in bits of information, this is the first mention of the ZTE MV920VS, so we are all shooting in the dark here.

If you want to provide wired Ethernet connections to your hardwired PCs and printers, forget about using the RAX35 for things it is not designed to do. Work out how to make it do things that it can do. Look into turning the RAX35 into a wireless access point. This is an easy switch.

@Moline wrote:

Again we are back to the fact that I search for wireless bridging or wireless repeater ( a term you used in your first response to me) and not get a straight answer

Who knows where you are searching? There are various ways of labelling these things. In effect "wireless bridging" and "wireless repeater" often mean the same thing. It is also sometime labelled WDS (wireless distribution service).

Unfortunately, bridging is another term that gets used in different ways. But let's not go into that.

I have no idea what you mean by a straight answer. Ask confusing questions based on poor and incomplete information from you and you can expect to get muddled answers.

The bottom line is that your RAX35 was a bad choice if you want a wireless repeater/bridge/WDS. Nothing anyone can say will mend it for you.

Message 8 of 9
Moline
Guide

Found my own solution after buying a few other wireless routers/repeater. The one I found that is working well is a AMPEDWIRELESS High Power AC2200 WI-FI Range Extender (RE2200T), easy setup, found my hotspot device as soon as it was turned on. set my passwords for each frequency 2.4ghz, 5ghz and unit did its reset and now my wired pc's are connected to my hotspot.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7