× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX50 ReadyShare cannot recognize my Kioxia 1TB SSD in Orico enclosure

wuzhemin
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX50 ReadyShare cannot recognize my Kioxia 1TB SSD in Orico enclosure

Hi All,

I have a Nighthawk RAX Wifi-6 Router. And I'd like to connect one external SSD drive (Kioxia 1TB NVMe SSD + Orico enclosure) to its USB port so that I expect to share files in this SSD through network.

However, seems my router couldn't recognize my SSD. After connected to the router's USB port, I got nothing. I cannot see it in ReadyShare, as shown below

SSD.jpg

And I couldn't explore it either in windows file explorer, as shown below

SSD_Exlore.jpg

However, the router can recognize my SanDisk 32gb USB stick with no issue, as shown below

USB.jpg

USB_Exlore.jpg

May I ask what's the issue with my SSD in Orico enclosure? Does that mean it's not compatible with the router? Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Thanks a lot!

wuzhemin

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX50 ReadyShare cannot recognize my Kioxia 1TB SSD in Orico enclosure

Have you tired a different USB drive connected to the router. Maybe a mechanical drive to test and see if something else works? 

Message 2 of 12
wuzhemin
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk RAX50 ReadyShare cannot recognize my Kioxia 1TB SSD in Orico enclosure

Yes, I have tested both a SanDisk 32G usb stick and a WD external HDD. Both worked with no issue. Only my Kioxia + Orico enclosure doesn’t work. Now I’m suspecting this enclosure has some compatibility issue with the router.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like it...

Message 4 of 12
Razor512
Prodigy

Are you able to connect the enclosure with the drive to a PC? If it can be accessed there, but not the router, then check the drive using hwinfo64

Download the portable version of hwinfo

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

It is the middle option with the green download button over a white background.

Once you launch it, check the drives section for the drive enclosure.

and check how it is reporting the drive. Some USB interfaces will act as a passthrough where the system is actually seeing a full on SATA or NVMe drive, e.g., some flash drives do this (though often just passing through a SATA drive which is compatible with a massive range of drvices, except systems runing operating systems from before SATA ports were in use.

For example, i attached an image of the listing for my Sandisk CZ80 USB 3.0 flash drive. On that drive, Sandisk essentially repurposed some of their older SSD hardware and stuffed in low binned NAND to make a 16GB flash drive, and the system sees it as a SATA drive even though it is using USB.

If when you connect the drive enclosure to your PC, if you do not see any drive show up, then check the windows disk manager to see if the drive just hasn't been initialized with a partition table yet, you can do this by searching for disk management in the start menu.

If the drive doesn't show up there, then it could be that your enclosure only supports mSATA rather than NVMe.

Message 5 of 12
wuzhemin
Aspirant

@Razor512 wrote:

Are you able to connect the enclosure with the drive to a PC? If it can be accessed there, but not the router, then check the drive using hwinfo64

Download the portable version of hwinfo

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

It is the middle option with the green download button over a white background.

Once you launch it, check the drives section for the drive enclosure.

and check how it is reporting the drive. Some USB interfaces will act as a passthrough where the system is actually seeing a full on SATA or NVMe drive, e.g., some flash drives do this (though often just passing through a SATA drive which is compatible with a massive range of drvices, except systems runing operating systems from before SATA ports were in use.

For example, i attached an image of the listing for my Sandisk CZ80 USB 3.0 flash drive. On that drive, Sandisk essentially repurposed some of their older SSD hardware and stuffed in low binned NAND to make a 16GB flash drive, and the system sees it as a SATA drive even though it is using USB.

If when you connect the drive enclosure to your PC, if you do not see any drive show up, then check the windows disk manager to see if the drive just hasn't been initialized with a partition table yet, you can do this by searching for disk management in the start menu.

If the drive doesn't show up there, then it could be that your enclosure only supports mSATA rather than NVMe.

Hi,

@Razor512 

I tried your tool. And I do see my Kioxia is listed under SATA. See the attached picture.

So is this the reason my router doesn't recognize it?

Message 6 of 12
Razor512
Prodigy

Hmm, so it is detecting a capacity and showing itself as a SATA device. The router should have full support for drives showing as using a SATA interface.

Are you able to access the drive using the file explorer? If it does not have a drive letter, then you will need to create a partition table as well as a partition for the drive as the router does not offer an option to format drives.

Message 7 of 12
wuzhemin
Aspirant

I have no issue with it if directly connected to PC, working flawlessly and I can explore it, and reading and writing are both working fine. Just the not working on router.
Message 8 of 12
Razor512
Prodigy

In hwinfo64, if you check the ports section and examine each root hub for each controller until you find the port that the SSD is connected to, which driver is your PC using for it?

Overall, the goal is to figure out if the system used generic drivers to get it working right, or if it used anything more specialized.

If it works with generic drivers, then there is not much in the way preventing it from working on the router unless there is some weird issue with the mass storage driver being used by the router and itsinteraction with that eclosure. In which case, it would be good for Netgear to look into it and add support.

PS one thing to also consider is that the storage drivers used will not make use of TRIM, thus unless the SSD has its own built in garbage collection process, once all of the NAND is "dirty" the write performance will become quite low.

Also noticed one thing, the drive you connected is likely the RTL9210. as the drive in your image is showing as a 4TB drive and not a 1TB drive.

The RTL9210 is an NVMe to USB adapter.

Message 9 of 12
Razor512
Prodigy

If your orico enclosure looks like this one, then it is likely the one you tried with the router. https://pcper.com/2020/07/orico-usb-c-nvme-ssd-aluminum-enclosure-review/

Message 10 of 12
wuzhemin
Aspirant

@Razor512 wrote:

If your orico enclosure looks like this one, then it is likely the one you tried with the router. https://pcper.com/2020/07/orico-usb-c-nvme-ssd-aluminum-enclosure-review/

I attched the screenshot of the port details. Yes, it's indeed a RTL9210 adapter. 

My Orico enclosure and Kioxia ssd are also shown in the attached picture.

Now, may I ask if you have a solution given all these details provided?

Thanks a lot.

Message 11 of 12
Razor512
Prodigy

With this info, I am able to research this more to see if UAS is supported on any major routers today.

From my experience thus far, just about any drive that shows up as a generic USB mass storage, would be detected by the router, even ones that came out well after. e.g., their routers working fine with 8TB WD red hard drives in an external enclosure.

There is largely a lack of info on UAS with any consumer router across the major brands, mainly since UAS was designed to reduce some of the overhead of the bulk-only transfer used by the more universal USB mass storage. The goal there was to allow drives to get real world transfers that were closer to the top theoretical speeds of the USB port. The thing is, a consumer router will not get anywhere near the theoretical limit of a USB 3.0 connection as the Ethernet ports will have a far lower PHY rate, furthermore many consumer router SOCs will not deliver on those speeds, especially since the storage services are often restricted to only use a single CPU core to that throughput ant latency of the core routing functions are not impacted by storage activities.

While I can't be 100% sure unless I can find someone who has worked on custom 3rd party firmware to see if the UAS support introduced in some linux kernels made their way into ARM based routers where they typically strip out features to improve performance and reduce attack surface. So far, it is looking like they may not have added or enabled UAS support.

TL:DR: it is likely that UAS support was never added to the firmware or was never enabled. Hopefully someone with experience in developing 3rd party firmware, or someone from Netgear can chime in to confirm.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7