× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet, but some devices still work, R6700AX

SJ_Panda
Follower

No internet, but some devices still work, R6700AX

Ok, this is a weird one, and any help is greatly appreciated!

We have Xfinity internet, coming in through an Arris SURFboard SB8200, going to our Netgear R6700AX.  We've lately been having issues where on our devices we receive a "connected without internet" warning, and our devices are not able to get through.  Now, here's the weird part: other devices like some smart TVs & our Amazon Echo devices are still able to get internet, although it is degraded.  For example, I can watch Netflix on my TV, but no YouTube or other streaming services.  My Echo devices still work and I can ask Alexa questions or stream music just fine.  However, from our computers, tablets, & phones we can't get anything.

Now, the other fun part: as a test I had an older router laying (R7000) around, so I connected it to the current router and set up a second network, and I can get internet access perfectly fine through that.  I followed Netgear's process for setting up the 2nd router, it's connected through ethernet cable to the 1st, has a different channel to broadcast on, all the normal stuff.  We did this to remove some of the devices off of the main router because our househould has a lot of IoT devices so we figured we'd move some of the lower priority items to the 2nd router.

When I restart the primary router we are able to get internet again, but some devices aren't receiving a proper IP address, e.g. my Amazon Echo will be given a 172 address, even though I've gone through the process of address reservation for it; once I restart the Echo it works fine.  We've been restarting the router about once per day, obviously this isn't ideal.  Please help!!

Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: No internet, but some devices still work, R6700AX

Hello SJ_Panda,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7