× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200

jcv2428
Aspirant

RAX200

My new RAX200 router is not capable of maintaining 400Mbps speed from my internet service provider.  I spent 2.5 hours on the phone, screen sharing with a Netgear technician today trying to find out why is this happening.  It does happen to drop from 485 to 138 Mpbs on ethernet ports and Wi-Fi connections alike.  Another phone call is schedule for tomorrow to continue troubleshooting.  If anyone knows how to fix this issue please post it here.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX200

I've had similar issues with my RAX200. I have gigabit but struggle to maintain >400mbps when my orbi pulls 940mbps.

One thing to check, what speeds do you get when testing within the nighthawk app?

What speeds do you get directly connected to modem?

Its good to have a baseline for what your pc/computer can do as some older devices can't saturate gigabit even 500mbps speeds.

What website are you testing with? For a while speedtest.net and fast.com wouldn't saturate my connection. I had to use speedtest.xfinity.com or speedtest.googlefiber.net

what modem are you using? 

A couple things you can try.

1. Turn on QoS. run it for a little while and speed test. Try turning it off and retesting.

2. change from ivp4 to ivp6. Or ivp6 back to ivp4. Reboot after the change and see if it helps.

3. Have you tried replacing the ethernet cable? it wouldn't be the first time a bad cable slowed speeds.

4. What firmware are you on?

5. I've had the best luck with the RAX200's firmware with doing a factory reset after changes. (unless they're minor changes)

From the sounds of it, you've already opened a support case. Good work as the more people that let Netgear know about this, hopefully the more that they assign to fixing the issue.  Seems a little crazy that a $600 flagship router can't do what cheaper routers do.

Here's the support site with firmware/manuals

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX200 

Message 2 of 10
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

what's the FW version installed on your RAX200? v1.0.0.30 or v1.0.1.6?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 10
jcv2428
Aspirant

I had a Spectrum technician to come out on 9/26 and do a thorough wiring check up.  We tried a couple of different cable modems.  He detected that the standard cable modem provided by their ISP was holding over 400Mbps, so I decided to remove the CM1200 and replace it with the standard equipment.  I am testing speed with the Netgear app and also with the Netgear PC user interface.  It is showing speeds well over 400mbps; however, other speed tools like Ookla or the MS Network Speed Test would reach only up to 270ish mbps.

I have done all the basic troubleshooting steps, including turning on QoS or changing from IPv6 to IPv4 and viceversa.  I have also change different CAT5e cables and lastly, I updated the FW to the latest version V1.0.1.8_1.0.39

Message 4 of 10
thinksinc
Apprentice

I also just received and set up my RAX200 today, and am not getting expected WiFi 6 speeds on my (only) WiFi 6 capable devices: an iPhone 11 Pro Max and an Intel WiFi 6 card in my Dell XPS 15.

I was previously using a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 for WiFi. I have gigabit internet service from Xfinity. On Ethernet, I average about 950+ Mbps. On WiFi, I averaged around 350-380 Mbps on most capable devices.

I did a simple swap-out, replacing the R8500 with the RAX200 (plugged into the same switch port on a Nighthawk S800). I used the same SSIDs so most of my devices will reconnect without issue.

After connecting the RAX200, my WiFi speeds are the same (at best) and a little slower at times than the R8500 using the iPhone 11 and WiFi 6 card on my Dell XPS. I've restarted my modem (a Netgear CM1000), the router, the devices I'm connecting with, etc.

In the RAX200 setup, I'm using WAN Preference: Internet Port (1Gbps). Not sure if I'd see any improvement selecting either of the Multi-Gig options here, since my Xfinity service is 1Gbps.

In the RAX200 Setup > QoS Setup, the built-in Speedtest reports Download speed of 937Mbps, so it's seeing that speed from my modem, it's just not delivering anything close to that speed to my WiFi 6 devices.

I left most of the other RAX200 settings at default. Is there anything simple I'm overlooking for not getting virtually any WiFi speed increase on devices supporting WiFi 6?

Message 5 of 10
thinksinc
Apprentice

(To add: I'm using the latest firmware available as of 10-01-19, v1.0.1.8_1.0.39).

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

@thinksinc wrote:

I also just received and set up my RAX200 today, and am not getting expected WiFi 6 speeds on my (only) WiFi 6 capable devices: an iPhone 11 Pro Max and an Intel WiFi 6 card in my Dell XPS 15.

I was previously using a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 for WiFi. I have gigabit internet service from Xfinity. On Ethernet, I average about 950+ Mbps. On WiFi, I averaged around 350-380 Mbps on most capable devices.

I did a simple swap-out, replacing the R8500 with the RAX200 (plugged into the same switch port on a Nighthawk S800). I used the same SSIDs so most of my devices will reconnect without issue.

After connecting the RAX200, my WiFi speeds are the same (at best) and a little slower at times than the R8500 using the iPhone 11 and WiFi 6 card on my Dell XPS. I've restarted my modem (a Netgear CM1000), the router, the devices I'm connecting with, etc.

In the RAX200 setup, I'm using WAN Preference: Internet Port (1Gbps). Not sure if I'd see any improvement selecting either of the Multi-Gig options here, since my Xfinity service is 1Gbps.

In the RAX200 Setup > QoS Setup, the built-in Speedtest reports Download speed of 937Mbps, so it's seeing that speed from my modem, it's just not delivering anything close to that speed to my WiFi 6 devices.

I left most of the other RAX200 settings at default. Is there anything simple I'm overlooking for not getting virtually any WiFi speed increase on devices supporting WiFi 6?

Please start your own thread for us to best assist you. 

Message 7 of 10
mlotov83
Star

Were you able to find any solution? I have different thread started for same issues. 

Message 8 of 10
mlotov83
Star

Any solutions on this thread?

Message 9 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mlotov83, 

I believe you mentioned in another thread that you had a ticket open with our Support Team. Has Support followed up on your case since? If not, please send me a message with your case number as I'll be glad to look into it for you.

Christian 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7