× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Smart Connect and AX mode?

todd1010
Apprentice

RAX80 Smart Connect and AX mode?

Not sure what's going on but I just purchase the router about a week ago and have spent almost the entire week speaking with tech support people opening multipe cases for different issues. Granted some are for areas where I didn't know how to do something and Netgear has walked me through. Others have been issues with the router itself and this is where I am about to throw this thing out the door. 

When I first got the router I selected the Smart Connect (seemed like a good feature). But quickly created a support ticket because I was getting very frequent drops on MacBook Pro, iPhone X, XS and Ipad Pro...you could literally watch as it would disconnect from wifi. This was happening from about 1 room away with an open door to the office about 15 feet away. 

Called tech support and he had me unselect (turn off) AX Mode and Smart Connect. We also changed the wireless channels on 2.4 and 5ghz. 

Roll forward a day or two and I still having similar issues again and call back and this guy says to turn them both on. This time we find out why I was not getting my 1gig download speeds for my wired devicess. So he downgraded my Firmware and this has seemed to remedy the 1gig speed issues and will have to wait for a update firmware release even though my router tells me there's a new firmware update everytime I log in. 

Anyways after reading through some of the forums trying to get an understanding of the features of AX mode and Smart Connect. I was reading a post (and forgive me if I'm not understanding this) but they said to turn off Smart Connect, rename the 2.4 and 5ghz the exact same or something like 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 and then turn on Smart Connect. Hopefully someone can help me out with this to see if this works. 

Also, If I you currectly don't have any Wifi 6 devices is there really any reason to even have AX mode turned on...or can turning this on give your current wireless devices some aid in how the RAX80 distributes the wireless signals?

Thanks!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
todd1010
Apprentice

Re: RAX80 Smart Connect and AX mode?

Also, Enable MU-MIMO is unselected (turned off) by default is this something to turn on?

Message 2 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi todd1010, 

Thank you for your detailed post. I see you mentioned that you have been in contact with support regarding your issues. Would you mind sending me a message with your case number and email address so I can have support follow up on your case. 

Thanks,
Christian 

Message 3 of 12
newguy2019
Initiate

Todd or Christian,

Were there ever any answers/resolutions about best configuration for smartconnect/ax/mu-mimo?

Thanks,

Mark

Message 4 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mark - Are you experiencing the same issues todd1010 reported? For config settings I would recommend getting in contact with our support team for them to analyze your network and provide recommendations catered to your networking needs. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 5 of 12
TRAFALGAR
Aspirant

Constantly dosconnects even when in same room. Like you I have tried all different settings, in fact I could have written your post as the experience is virtually identical.  After dealing with this since May 2019 and the last 3 months where I tried adding, deleting hardware such as adding signal extenders and taking devices offline I finally went and borrowed another router and puff ! all my problems were resolved...I am thinking there is a flaw in the hardware of the Netgear AX8 and not a software problem.

Message 6 of 12
newguy2019
Initiate

After working with Netgrear support back in August, I was told my unit was defective. I exchanged it for a new one, and the issues went away, in partl; however, I have since noticed 2 problems. 1. Every couple of days I lose connecttivity between the router and the modem, and have to restart the router (I'm using a Netgear modem that I purchased in August when I initially purchased the router). 2. Even when the network is connecting to the internet, the quality of the connection to my devices (2019 macbook pro) and other devices (2018 ipad, iPhone 11 Pro) is poor and internet speed is poor. In fact, it's worse that just connecting to the xfinity network directly, so obviously something is still going on with this router. I really wish I hadn't invested so much money in this product and would advise anyone who asks to avoid this modme. It's terrible. Unfortunately I don't feel like there is any recourse. So far both units I have had have been lemons.

Message 7 of 12
GabboCH
Apprentice

Exaclty the same for me.

My RAX80 hasnt worked correctly since I bought it, despite sending several log files I had no feedback which would eleviate any of these problems.

I put a Netgear Wifi5 extender (EX8000) in the same place in the network instead of the RAX80 and voila, everything works fine & I havent had any problems in 3 months.

Message 8 of 12
RajaDaja
Luminary

I just bought the Costco version AX8 RAX75   and it's a piece of crap!  Point Blank Period!

I have Netgear X10 AD7200  and Archer C5400 V2..... I had the X10 in AP mode in my son's BR and the TP-Link C5400 V2 as my main router. Costco had 100 off the RAX75 so I jumped on it. BOY! was that a mistake. 1st problem I had was I could not log in thur Safari browser, had to use chrome on my iMac. I went through all the cache clearing and  stuff for  Safari. After logging in use Chrome and setting things up I began to check things out, to my surprise the RX8 cannot be my main router so I set it to AP mode and put it in  my son's BR  and I'm now using the X10 as my main router. I put the TP-Link C5400 away for emergency backup. STAY AWAY FROM Netgear AX ROUTER FOR NOW!

Netgear R9000 X10 AD7200

AX8 RAX75

Netgear CM1000

Message 9 of 12
RajaDaja
Luminary

So, I take what I said back. After biting the bullet, I set my new AX8 up in AP mode, well after a week or so, I decided to give it another shot as my main router, so I perform a factory reset and inserted the AX8 as my main router. Everything is working as it should, only thing is....I still cannot log into the UI thru the WEB with Safari. With Chrome no issues.Netgear support was very helpful. I'm on  500/15 thru Xfinity and I'm seeing 597/17 hardwired on iMac  &  Xbox One S .......... 444/17 on iPhone11 Pro via WiFi.........Happy!      Fast web page loading, all devices connected with no dropped connections.    YES!

@RajaDaja wrote:

I just bought the Costco version AX8 RAX75   and it's a piece of crap!  Point Blank Period!

I have Netgear X10 AD7200  and Archer C5400 V2..... I had the X10 in AP mode in my son's BR and the TP-Link C5400 V2 as my main router. Costco had 100 off the RAX75 so I jumped on it. BOY! was that a mistake. 1st problem I had was I could not log in thur Safari browser, had to use chrome on my iMac. I went through all the cache clearing and  stuff for  Safari. After logging in use Chrome and setting things up I began to check things out, to my surprise the RX8 cannot be my main router so I set it to AP mode and put it in  my son's BR  and I'm now using the X10 as my main router. I put the TP-Link C5400 away for emergency backup. STAY AWAY FROM Netgear AX ROUTER FOR NOW!

Netgear R9000 X10 AD7200

AX8 RAX75

Netgear CM1000

Message 10 of 12
Pasadian
Aspirant

Re: RAX80 Enable Mu-Mimo?

Should I or do I need to enable Mu-Mimo or not?

Thank you!!

Message 11 of 12
RajaDaja
Luminary

Re: RAX80 Enable Mu-Mimo?

Just depends on your household, 3-5 smart phones, 2-3 tablets, couple laptops, all fairly new tech. Yes turn in. Especially if you have 5 or more devices roaming around your household.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7