× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Smart Plug Issues

kjblkblt
Follower

RAX80 Smart Plug Issues

I have a RAX80 Nighthawk router with fiber coming in and I get great speeds and maintain a great connection with my router, I also have an EAX80 upstairs to extend my signal and to strengthen the signal my kids use for school.  When setting up the router I vaguely remember that it asked if I wanted to have the same SSID for 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands so that the devices/routers could decide which one was the best to connect to.  However, I have gotten some smart plugs and I can't seem to get them to connect to our network at all. 

I am running app version 2.7.0.27 and Firmware version V1.0.3.102 on an Apple 12 Pro, iOS14.2.1 trying to connect iHome Smart Plugs ISP6X.  When I try and connect them via apple home it sees the plug and then when I try and connect it, it says it failed to connect the device.  When I go through the Home App it sees the device and when I try to connect to it it says that it failed to connect and gives me error 98. 

I of course googled what that error meant and it told me that it meant I was on a 5GHz network and it needed 2.4GHz, I was surprised cause I'm like I have a dual-band router, but OK, go to my phone settings look for the 2.4GHz, which is not there, go to my Netgear App and the wifi settings and disable smart connect then set the different bands to different names and restart the router, the phone, and reset the smart plug, try to connect it again, with the same results.  I try it again this time turning off the extender just incase it's connecting to that instead, same results.  Someone, please help me what am I doing wrong, I know this is technically an issue with the IoT device not being able to detect both bandwidths but this is beyond frustrating.  Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: RAX80 Smart Plug Issues

@kjblkblt wrote:

I of course googled what that error meant and it told me that it meant I was on a 5GHz network and it needed 2.4GHz, I was surprised cause I'm like I have a dual-band router, but OK, go to my phone settings look for the 2.4GHz, which is not there, go to my Netgear App and the wifi settings and disable smart connect then set the different bands to different names and restart the router, the phone, and reset the smart plug, try to connect it again, with the same results.

Good research. You have hit a common brick wall, a badly designed app for an IoT device.

It comes up here regularly.

The simplest solution is to temporarily disable the 5 GHz wifi SSID broadcast.

If you cannot force your mobile to connect to 2.4 GHz, one way around this is to

• temporarily disable the router's 5 GHz.
  • Tell the mobile to forget the 5 GHz SSID.
  • Give it a minute or two to forget the 5 GHz wifi connection
  • Connect to 2.4 GHz.
  • Do your thing with the IoT device
  • Enable the 5 GHz wifi
  • Complain to the people who made the IoT gadget

I'm not familiar with the RAX80 but as far as I know it is not one of those devices that does not allow you to disable the 5GHz.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Enable or Disable the WiFi Radios.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7