× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing my BT Home Hub 6 with DrayTek Vigor 130, then connecting to my Nighthawk RAX200

theMPG
Tutor

Replacing my BT Home Hub 6 with DrayTek Vigor 130, then connecting to my Nighthawk RAX200

Replacing my BT Home Hub 6 with DrayTek Vigor 130, then connecting to my Nighthawk RAX200, step by step guide if possible. 

Hi.  Looking for some not-too-techie guidance and help, if possible.

It was recommended I post to this forum.  

My plan is:

-  I replace my existing BT Home Hub 6, with a DrayTek Vigor 130 modem

-  then, attaching my Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 to my new DrayTek Vigor 130 modem.
      -  Can anyone give me 'an idiots guide' for how to configure my RAX200 for perfect harmony, between the Vigor130 and the RAX200 units.  
      -  do I perform a factory reset of the RAX200, so automatic configuration can sense the v130 modem and pick up up those settings

-  do I perform a factory reset of the RAX200, and manually set-up each section? If so, how... what should the settings be...?

Any guidance, would be gratefully received.  I want to slowly get the units into place, knowing I have reduced the option of failure, as much as possible. 

I have been advised I need to consider PPPoE, and DHCP.  I also understand the Vigor will be in Bridge mode, which then leaves the RAX200 to manage the DHCP, and I have obtained then PPPoE information for my BT Broadband provision. 

You now know, all I know... but how do this... where to start, and each step until completion..

Many thanks,

Martin (London)

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Replacing my BT Home Hub 6 with DrayTek Vigor 130, then connecting to my Nighthawk RAX200

@theMPG wrote:

My plan is:

-  I replace my existing BT Home Hub 6, with a DrayTek Vigor 130 modem

-  then, attaching my Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 to my new DrayTek Vigor 130 modem.
      -  Can anyone give me 'an idiots guide' for how to configure my RAX200 for perfect harmony, between the Vigor130 and the RAX200 units.  
      -  do I perform a factory reset of the RAX200, so automatic configuration can sense the v130 modem and pick up up those settings

-  do I perform a factory reset of the RAX200, and manually set-up each section? If so, how... what should the settings be...?

The reset is probably a good idea. Either that, or, if it has already been set you to run on BT, just take the RAX200 through the Internet Setup Wizard.

I also understand the Vigor will be in Bridge mode, which then leaves the RAX200 to manage the DHCP, and I have obtained then PPPoE information for my BT Broadband provision. 

It looks like the DrayTek comes in bridge mode by default. Indeed, I see no sign that it can do anything of a router nature, unlike the Netgear DM200.

As long as you can get the DrayTek to work with BT, it should be a very simple process.

right order.

My first move would be to get the modem to work before even thinking about the router. Connect a PC to the modem. Set that up and confirm that you have a good Internet connection. Apply any firmware updates for the modem. These things can be a bugger to get into once they sit in front of a router.

Then add the router.

Ignore exhortations from Netgear to use an app to set  the router. If possible, use the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 3
theMPG
Tutor

Re: Replacing my BT Home Hub 6 with DrayTek Vigor 130, then connecting to my Nighthawk RAX200

Amazing.  Thanks so much... at least I wasn't too far off plan.

I take note of your suggestions though, and am going to take my time, do this slowly, and do it right... he says. ;-0

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7