× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

There are NO Netgear routers that are "Wi-Fi 6 Certified"

duckware
Prodigy

There are NO Netgear routers that are "Wi-Fi 6 Certified"

Message 1 of 12
blue13x
Tutor

Re: There are NO Netgear routers that are "Wi-Fi 6 Certified"

This has me worried. Been looking into the RAX200. I hope they are not basically beta products and they later on release V2 version that does adhere to the final wifi 6 specs.

Message 2 of 12
blue13x
Tutor

After looking into the website, it shows that the broadcom BCM94908R43684AX chip is wifi 6 certified, and the rax80 and rax200 use it I think.

Message 3 of 12
duckware
Prodigy

Yes, in general every chipset will absolutely support Wi-Fi 6.  But the worry is that Netgear's firmware is not up to par with others and will not implement some critical feature.  And even if Netgear has the feature, we won't know if it works properly, or interoperates with others.

Being "Wi-Fi 6 Certified" is a stamp of approval (that is rather blatantly missing on Netgear's 802.11ax offerings).

Asus has an 802.11ax router that prominently displays the Wi-Fi 6 Certified logo.

Message 4 of 12
blue13x
Tutor

And I'm personally considering the Netgear RAX200 and the Asus rog Rapture AX 11000. Might go with the asus in that case, eventhough the netgear does look better.

Message 5 of 12
digitsnbits
Apprentice

I have a RAX80 sitting in a box because the firmware is garbage. I'm using an Asus RT-AX88U and it's a night and day difference. Everything works as it should, don't have to mess with it at all.

Theres people on here who will tell you Asus routers have the same issues but I haven't seen it, and 

I don't think they've even used it.

Bottom line you want constant problems, reboots, lost connections, a Netgear support staff who's only answer is update to the latest firmware and open a trouble ticket which never gets fixed or they go silent. Personally I'd never buy a Netgear router again, and there's tons of posts with exactly the same sentiment.  

Message 6 of 12
duckware
Prodigy

The Broadcom BCM94908R43684AX is an actual "reference design" router (NOT a chip) -- which given the name, we assume is using the BCM43684 chip (4x4 802.11ax Wi-Fi Residential Access Point Chip).

And this is exactly why being "certified" is so important.  Everyone assumes that Netgear can create something unique (maybe using the reference design as a base) that works -- but until Netgear can actually get their routers "certified", we are left wondering -- is there something in Netgear AX routers that do not work, or does everything work properly?

Netgear, please get your routers "Wi-Fi 6 Certified" so we know for sure.

Message 7 of 12
digitsnbits
Apprentice

Please read the post directly above your last plastic, your answer is there.

Message 8 of 12
DDRAGON
Aspirant

The RAX 80 and RAX200 have chips that support OFDMA up and down. The RAX 120 ONLY supports down because physically in the chip used, it’s only capable of down.

The RAX120 currently supports WPA3 whilst the others don’t. BelieBe it is meant to be done in a future update. Somewhere I think WPA3 was a requirement.

Some support 160Mhz native and others do a 80+80Mhz. 160Mhz is a requirement for certification too I believe.

The WiFi 6 certification requires a series of core and optional requirements. Part of the core requirements is Up and Down OFDMA. that rules out the RAX120 - hence I returned it.

There are other considerations such as WPA3, 160Mhz etc.

The RAX 80/200 don’t do WPA3 yet. orbi RKB85X Doesn’t do WPA3 or 160Mhz

So it’s abit of a mess because it seems everywhere you look, there are bits of firmware updates required before they can attempt to certify - as long as the hardware supports it (which arguably rules out RAX120 completely).

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33221-what-s-missing-from-your-wi-fi-6-ro...
Message 9 of 12
psychopomp123
Luminary

@DDRAGON 

The RAX200 now supports WPA3 on the latest firmware (1.0.2.8)

https://kb.netgear.com/000061780/RAX200-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-8

Message 10 of 12
DDRAGON
Aspirant

Ah cool. New update. Wasn’t out when I had the RAX200. Cheers 🙂 Gone through them: RAX120 —> RAX200 —> RBK853 Now. Hope that gets the updates too 🙂
Message 11 of 12
Topology
Virtuoso

Interestingly, the RAX120 is in fact “certified” by the Wi-Fi Alliance – but, not for WiFi 6 (see here).

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7