× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Synchronization failed on Windows PC using RAX120 with AT&T's 5268ac router

Time Synchronization failed on Windows PC using RAX120 with AT&T's 5268ac router

Hi all,

I'm using my ISP's 5268ac router which is bridged/port forwarding everything to my RAX120 router (AT&T doesn't allow other routers as the default modem).  Everything is working fine on my network except for the time/date sync on Windows.  My RAX120 router's NTP settings work fine and is able to get the time.  The NTP settings on my ISP's router is working fine as well, so I'm puzzled as to why my computer can't sync with the time server.  When I plug into the ISP's router directly, the time sync works on my Windows 11 PC.  That is a workaround for now, but it's really annoying to have to do.  I'm not sure what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Time Synchronization failed on Windows PC using RAX120 with AT&T's 5268ac router

@LegendarySage wrote:

Hi all,

I'm using my ISP's 5268ac router which is bridged/port forwarding everything to my RAX120 router (AT&T doesn't allow other routers as the default modem).  Everything is working fine on my network except for the time/date sync on Windows.  My RAX120 router's NTP settings work fine and is able to get the time.  The NTP settings on my ISP's router is working fine as well, so I'm puzzled as to why my computer can't sync with the time server.  When I plug into the ISP's router directly, the time sync works on my Windows 11 PC.  That is a workaround for now, but it's really annoying to have to do.  I'm not sure what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Recommend you check the Windows settings on your PC first.

With the PC connected to your LAN and you are logged in with administrative credentials, go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Ethernet and verify your network profile is Private.  If not, change it to Private.

Now go to Settings -> Time & Language -> Date & Time and confirm your Region, Time Zone and automatic settings are correct.  In that same window, scroll down and manually click on the Sync Now button.  Look for error messages if it is not successful.

See attached.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Re: Time Synchronization failed on Windows PC using RAX120 with AT&T's 5268ac router

@LegendarySage wrote:

Hi all,

With the PC connected to your LAN and you are logged in with administrative credentials, go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Ethernet and verify your network profile is Private.  If not, change it to Private.

Now go to Settings -> Time & Language -> Date & Time and confirm your Region, Time Zone and automatic settings are correct.  In that same window, scroll down and manually click on the Sync Now button.  Look for error messages if it is not successful.

See attached.

Message 2 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions.  I modified my settings so that my Ethernet was Private.  I then went to the Time and Date, and tried syncing but it failed again using time.windows.com.  However, I went to change my source time server to time.nist.gov, and it worked!  I selected it by going to Time & language, I clicked on Additional Clocks, Internet Time, and then change settings.  So I guess there's still an issue with time.windows.com, but I don't really care where I get the time from, as long as it's accurate. So thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 5
Kitsap
Master

Good to hear.  For future reference, there are good NTP servers at pool.ntp.org.

Message 4 of 5

Time Synchronization failed on Windows PC using RAX120 with AT&T's 5268ac router Part 2

I'm having an issue where I can't seem to sync my time with any world clock using NTP.  I have the same setup as posted here in this thread: Solved: Re: Time Synchronization failed on Windows PC usin... - NETGEAR Communities.  The solution worked for me the first time I tried it and the clock sync'd correctly.  Every time after that though, it fails again, even when the network is set to private.  Here's my original question and set up along with the solution that only worked one time :P.

One time Solution: 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7