× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

configure ax4300 as wifi extender

plink53
Aspirant

configure ax4300 as wifi extender

Has anyone tried using a RAX45, AX6, AX4300 (all reference same product) as a WiFi extender to another AX4300? I found a service article, https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-enable-the-extender-mode-feature-on-my-Nighthawk-router, on how to do it with other Nighthawk routers but am wondering if anyone has tried it with the RAX45 router? The house I'm in is very old with lots of signal issues but I have an ethernet cable to an upstairs bedroom and want to connect the second router using ethernet instead of wireless for a fatser system. I bought a Netgear mesh system (both from Costo, are these Costco-specific products?) but it doesn't appear they can be connected via ethernet so thinking about returning it and buying a second RAX45.

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: configure ax4300 as wifi extender

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] as a WiFi extender [...] ethernet instead of wireless [...]

That's not what "extender" normally means.

> [...] I bought a Netgear mesh system [...]

Did that "a Netgear mesh system" have a model number?  Look for
"Model" on the product label.  If so, then visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"access point".

Message 2 of 5
plink53
Aspirant

Actually it is. I used this configuration on old Apple Airport Extremes. The second/extender Airport was connected to a ethernet network providing a faster and more consistent backhaul capability than using a wireless signal. Apple had a simple way of configuring the satellite/extender Airport (it just worked). The article I mentioned provides some configuration settings but not as easy as simply using the Netgear Nighthawk iOS app. 

The mesh system I bought but haven't installed is an MX63. I asked about using an ethernet network for this system as well but it doesn't appear the ethernet port on the satellites can be used for the backhaul connection, only for hardwired devices without WiFi.

I did read the manuals for the AX4300 and they don't mention anything about using it as a WiFi extender but do mention other Netgear products that do work.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 5
plink53
Aspirant

Thanks. At least I can get upstairs with a wired connection then use the second satellite over the WiFi channel.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7