× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

confused by rax120 options

1jhill
Aspirant

confused by rax120 options

ok so got my new rax120 and im confused by some setup options.

In wireless section there is enable or disable AX and if enabled it says it enables OFDMA however below that it has enable OFDMA for 2.4 and below that has Enable OFDMA for 5.  So do all need to be checked in or to work or does enabling AX overright the other two options?

Other question I have for now is there are two 4xxx speed options for the 5g.  One is HT80 and other HT160.  one of my computers has the intel wifi 6 card that is 160mhz.  So should this be enabled and if so does that make older devices no longer work or will they just use 80mhz.  Meaning is it either or? or does the 160 still have an 80?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Re: confused by rax120 options

If you enable 160 only the device that is compatible will connect to that WiFi channel so it's best to let it run on 80. It will be more than enough.

as for the OFDMA, I've mine on on both channels testing away with a load of only ac devices and not a problem so far. 
Try it and see how it goes, enable both 2.4 and 5. 

ive selected 2.4 as ht40 and have the 20/40 coexistence tab ticked and ht80 selected for 5.

Message 2 of 7
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

What I would do though as you may have installed firmware after setting it up and the hot fix is do a rest using the rear pin hole method. 
when I installed the firmware I noticed access control failed to work and the 40mhz 2.4 channel would drop and a nice reset solved it. 
don't use any saved configs after the rest, just setup from new and then enjoy your new router, it's a great bit of gear.

Message 3 of 7
1jhill
Aspirant

Ok.  As for 5g Chanel is there a reason to use the upper channel like 153?  I read somewhere that some features need DFS Chanel to function?  Also if I use ht80 which I guess I'm going to have to is that giving me (for my pc) the 80+80 so I'm at least taking advantage of that and didn't just make my router a wifi5 router.

Message 4 of 7
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

When you use AX 5Ghz and AX is enabled then just select ht80 which  is going to be good. You don't require 160.

DFS is good if you have a congested area ie neighbouring channels or you use an extender like an EX8000 where it requires a high DFS to allow the 1733 backhaul link. Over here in the U.K. we have a small penalty when using DFS and I use channel 100 as I've an EX8000 extender. The only downside is if it detects Radar it kicks you off the DFS channels. 

all AX functions are at work and don't require a DFS channel. Have a play and try out stuff. If you have a phone look for WIFI SweetSpot which will show your connection rate, don't confuse this with your internet speed. Just play with the router and try it out and see what works for you. 

Message 5 of 7
1jhill
Aspirant

Ok getting it more dialed in.  So I've also found in the 2.4g Chanel there doesn't seem to be anything near Chanel 9 (using analyzer) so I set to channel 9 and then test with and without coexistence.  With I only get about a 290mbs rating and without I get 576.  So why would I want this?  I'm in a regular suburb neighborhood house so I don't believe I'm interfering with others.

Message 6 of 7
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

40mhz can cause more interference to others and you. If performance drops on the 40mhz it could be interference but 500 Mbps connection is pretty fast and so it then just boils down to your internet speed, here in the U.K. we don't have the greatest speeds, I'm 58 down and 11 up. 
in saying all that I tend to use the 5ghz for stuff like shield tv, iPad and MacBook and leave the 2.4 for other devices like my echos. 

ive also left my channel selection on 2.4 to auto where as other routers I pick the best channel.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7