Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 C7000 slow wifi speeds but good wired speed

hiennguyen
Aspirant

AC1900 C7000 slow wifi speeds but good wired speed

We are with Comcast 800Mbps package. I did couple of tests as below

1. Wired speed at around 550Mbps

2. Wireless speed on the 5GHz band at around 250Mbps (both devices Macbook 2019 and Windows laptops are next to the router)

3. Hardwire connect router to access point, then connect both Macbook and Windows laptops to AP on 5GHz band, the speed was at around 550Mbps

From what I saw, this is absolutly C7000 issue with its wireless connection. Any sugguestions on how to fix/config wireless?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 8

Re: AC1900 C7000 slow wifi speeds but good wired speed

@hiennguyen wrote:

2. Wireless speed on the 5GHz band at around 250Mbps (both devices Macbook 2019 and Windows laptops are next to the router)

Does your Macbook go a .lot faster when you use it with different wifi sources?

250 Mbps is about as fast as many wifi clients can manage. A lot can't even go that fast.

Is it too slow for things you are trying to do?

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 2 of 8
hiennguyen
Aspirant

Thanks @michaelkenward for reply. I really appreciate that.

As you might already see my 3rd test, same router but connection via AP, the speed was more than double (around 550Mbps).

The point I were trying to make was C7000 isn't as fast as specs (Up to 1.9Gpbs† combined WiFi speed for extreme gaming and streaming), and yes my work needs connection as fast as possiple. That's why I paid comcast for 800Mbps package.

Any suggestions on how to fix wireless connection slowness is really appreciated.

Message 3 of 8

@hiennguyen wrote:

The point I were trying to make was C7000 isn't as fast as specs (Up to 1.9Gpbs† combined WiFi speed for extreme gaming and streaming), and yes my work needs connection as fast as possiple. That's why I paid comcast for 800Mbps package.

Any suggestions on how to fix wireless connection slowness is really appreciated.

Did you read the link I posted?

That would tell you that you need to research what they mean by "Up to 1.9Gpbs combined WiFi speed".

As the Data Sheet says:

"†Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE standard 802.11 specifications. Actual data throughput and wireless coverage will vary."

"Wireless signal rate", itself a vague term,  is not the same as "wifi data transfer speed".

"Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffc, interference, and building construction may lower actual data throughput and wireless coverage.

"NETGEAR makes no express or implied representations or warranties about this product's compatibility with any future standards. 802.11ac 1900 Mbps is approximately 3x faster than 802.11n 450 Mbps. Up to 1900 Mbps wireless speeds achieved when connecting to other 802.11ac 1900 Mbps devices."

You have some of those?

We still don't know of your wifi speed is too slow for things you are trying to do.

Message 4 of 8
hiennguyen
Aspirant

Thanks once again for further clarification @michaelkenward. What would you say about my 3rd test? Same data source (C7000) but via different wireless connection (i.e. Access Point connected to C7000 using cable) - I actually used TPLink RE505X as AP in this case. I don't mind using TPLink RE505X as AP and turn off wifi signal from C7000 but it just doesn't make sense to have another device (while we can avoid it)

Message 5 of 8

Is your wifi speed too slow for things you are trying to do?

Message 6 of 8
hiennguyen
Aspirant

@michaelkenward I am trying to understand why you keep asking unrelated questions.

Message 7 of 8

I'm trying to understand why you are worrying about your wifi speed.

As explained, several times, there is almost certainly nothing you can do about it. Nor is there anything wrong with your modem/router.

Forget about the wifi speed and worry about what the real problem is. Maybe you can fix that.

If you are just staring at a speed meter, have fun.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7