Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Avast! reports my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 "is vulnerable to network attacks". V1.0.2.2

sportryder13
Aspirant

Avast! reports my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 "is vulnerable to network attacks". V1.0.2.2

Purchased Subject router Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2.  Immediately updated old firmware to V1.0.2.2 prior to going forward with the rest on the configuration.  Running Windows 10 Pro on my desktop.  For the community network experts and Netgear associates/techs,

I'm running Avast! Premier which has the newest updates applied.  All software on my PC is up to date and current including all Windows 10 Pro security updates.  Upon completion of this router setup and config I decided to check my home network configuration to see if all was secure.  Avast! finds a network vulnerability on my "readyshare" name.  Vulnerability exists on the MAC address of my router.  The Vulnerability ID is:  NON-2015-211.  I have checked over all of the settings including insuring all passwords used are strong.  Even turned the readyshare feature off to no avail.  All shares have "read and write" set to admin password required.

Is there a problem with this router?  My previous two routers were also Netgear devices.  The first was a WNDR3500L and the last one was the AC6300v1.  Both of them use the newest firmware available and Avast! reports my network and all devices to be secure when I remove the R7500v2 and put either of my other routers in its place.  

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Avast! reports my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 "is vulnerable to network attacks". V1.0.2.2

Hi @sportryder13 Our engineers are currently working on this and will provide an updated firmware.

As of this writing, we do not have any ETA but this will be fix on the next firmware release.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Avast! reports my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 "is vulnerable to network attacks". V1.0.2.2

Hi @sportryder13 Our engineers are currently working on this and will provide an updated firmware.

As of this writing, we do not have any ETA but this will be fix on the next firmware release.

Message 2 of 5
sportryder13
Aspirant

Re: Avast! reports my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 "is vulnerable to network attacks". V1.

Hi ElaineM,

Thank you for the speedy response.  We will see how it goes. 

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Avast! reports my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 "is vulnerable to network attacks". V1.

You're welcome!

Message 4 of 5
sportryder13
Aspirant

Update:  New Beta firmware provided to me by the Netgear engineers.  Loaded it up and all is well now.  No network security vulnerabilities are reported by the router when queried by the Avast! Premier network security scanner tool.  Firmware version is V1.0.2.4. 

Instructions were straightforward.  Very simple to accomplish.  There were some tasks described in the instructions that were not necessary but I fully understand why they asked me to do that.  After loading the firmware I was asked to reset the router to the factory default settings then reconfigure the router as if doing it from scratch.  All is well in my network world now. 

Kudos to the Netgear engineers, support reps and technicians.  I appreciate your products, expertise and very timely responses to my problem although it was a false vulnerability reading which I had verified in my logs on the router and my firewalls.

Kind Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7