Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can the Nighthawk D7000 be put into Bridge Mode

dave00
Aspirant

Can the Nighthawk D7000 be put into Bridge Mode

Hi,

My wired network is in a new location in my house away from the phone socket but all the wired devices are together in the same location.  What I would like to do is position my Nighthawk next to the wired network to act as the router for the wired network devices.  I would like to put my ISP router/modem next to the phone socket for the internet connection.  My thinking is I could put the Nighthawk D7000 into bridge mode to act as a router only and wirelessly bridge to the ISP modem for the internet connection.  There seems to be only an option to make the Nighthawk to act as modem/router or modem only but not as router only.  Can some one advise if the D7000 can be used in this way?

Thanks in advance.

David

Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10—AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

@dave00 wrote:

I was hoping i could wirelessly bridge them:  use my D7000 as the primary network router/wireless access point and use my ISP's device simply as the modem.

Bridge mode usually refers to wired connections. What you want is a wifi repeater.

Not all routers can do that. A modem is even less likely to work. A handful of Netgear's devices, mostly older stuff, do have this feature. The D7000 doesn't seem to be one of them.

The only option that I can think of is to use Powerline Ethernet to connect the old modem/router to the new modem. I wouldn't know how much speed you would lose over the Powerline. Probably less than the repeater option.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies

@dave00 wrote:
There seems to be only an option to make the Nighthawk to act as modem/router or modem only but not as router only.  Can some one advise if the D7000 can be used in this way?

Look at the back of the modem/router.

See the red internet socket? Plug into the modem from that. Bingo.

First, though, turn off the router bit of the ISP's modem/router.

Message 2 of 7
dave00
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.  This solution would involve running a very long cable from my ISP wireless modem/router at the phone socket to my D7000 at the other end of the room - which is what i'm trying to avoid.  I was hoping i could wirelessly bridge them:  use my D7000 as the primary network router/wireless access point and use my ISP's device simply as the modem.

Thanks,

David

Message 3 of 7

@dave00 wrote:

I was hoping i could wirelessly bridge them:  use my D7000 as the primary network router/wireless access point and use my ISP's device simply as the modem.

Bridge mode usually refers to wired connections. What you want is a wifi repeater.

Not all routers can do that. A modem is even less likely to work. A handful of Netgear's devices, mostly older stuff, do have this feature. The D7000 doesn't seem to be one of them.

The only option that I can think of is to use Powerline Ethernet to connect the old modem/router to the new modem. I wouldn't know how much speed you would lose over the Powerline. Probably less than the repeater option.

Message 4 of 7
dave00
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response - i'll go and rethink my approach to the problem.

David

Message 5 of 7
antinode
Guru

> Bridge mode usually refers to wired connections. [...]

Free advice: Look for "bridge mode" (as in "Set Up the Router in
Bridge Mode") in the User Manual for an R7000.

The user interface of the D7000 seems not to offer a similar option.

Message 6 of 7

@dave00 wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response - i'll go and rethink my approach to the problem.

David

Why not try using the D7000 in router mode, wired to the modem?

The wifi may reach far enough. Or is it the LAN access that you want?

By the way, the "bridge mode" instructions for the R7000 router are meaningless for the D7000 modem/router. As I said, using the modem as a router is not done through the browser interface a la R7000 but through the plug on the back, which then bypasses the modem section. A bit like the D6400 sitting in front of me.

Check page 31 in the manual for the D7000.

You can use the R7000 as a repeater – check the manual for that – but that too is a different animal.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7