Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IPv6 not working with German provider PYUR

Javihache
Aspirant

IPv6 not working with German provider PYUR

So guys, 

I've been fighting to get IPv6 to work with my router. My ISP provides IPv6 Addresses, but the router only receives them randomly or not at all. When I flash FreshTomato 2020.5 on the router IPv6 DHCP works fine selecting 60 or 56 as the prefix length. With an ASUS RT-N56U IPv6 works if I choose Stateful NA-IA DHCP for the WAN IPv6 Address.

As for the R8000 with original Netgear Firmware... the router will get an IPv6 Address once every 500 reboots and/or FW reinstalls, modem reboots... there's no real pattern on when the Router will get an IPv6 using DHCP. It does, sometimes, but 99% of the time it just shows "not available". Am I missing something? Is there a way to make IPv6 work stable?

My ISP says they are delivering IPv6 and the problem lies on my router, which is clearly the case. More specifically on the Firmware, which allows for zero options for IPv6 DHCP. As mentioned, DD-WRT and FreshTomato work perfectly with IPv6. Before you ask, the Wi-Fi performance of those Firmwares is terrible, that's the reason I want to use the Netgear original FW.

Thanks for your help!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Javihache
Aspirant

Re: IPv6 not working with German provider PYUR

For everyone having the same problem with IPv6. Through trying to find a solution for the problem explained here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-X6-R8000-wifi-5g-second-not-workin...

The user at the very end mentions that 1.0.4.46 solved "the IPv6 Problem" for them. 

I tried this firmware and effectively solved the IPv6 Problem and the Second 5GHz Radio disappearing problem. 

I have deactivated Auto-Updates seeing that Netgear tends to break more than they fix with the firmware updates. I recommend everyone deactivating auto-updates. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Javihache
Aspirant

By the way! I forgot to mention I am on latest Firmware 1.0.4.52

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 4
Javihache
Aspirant

For everyone having the same problem with IPv6. Through trying to find a solution for the problem explained here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-X6-R8000-wifi-5g-second-not-workin...

The user at the very end mentions that 1.0.4.46 solved "the IPv6 Problem" for them. 

I tried this firmware and effectively solved the IPv6 Problem and the Second 5GHz Radio disappearing problem. 

I have deactivated Auto-Updates seeing that Netgear tends to break more than they fix with the firmware updates. I recommend everyone deactivating auto-updates. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Message 3 of 4
Javihache
Aspirant

Ok, spoke too early. Once the router has been rebooted, the IPv6 Address is gone and there's no way to make it work again. Also V. 1.0.4.46 doesn't work fine with the second radio. Seriously, what a **bleep** firmware Netgear offers. It's definitely the last time I buy a Netgear product.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7